Geschwind's 1863 Hybridation ...der Rosen

Among the new ‘old’ books available from Google is Rudolf Geschwind’s Classic Hybridization u Samlingzucht der Rosen from 1864.

I have a very slow land line so I go to the library and download the books I want to read onto a memory stick, then come home, and put them on CDs.

Then I can use the Google Book Advanced Search and specify year, author and title as well as what words I want to find in the book. If I want to see if Geschwind used or thought about trying Noisettes, I use Noisette as the ‘must contain’ search word. If I want to find which Bourbons he used, the word bourbon will get me to all the pages with the word bourbon on them.

Noisette, banksia, moschata and bracteata are mentioned on page 230 of the book which is 243of the google copy ( google photocopies and digitizes all pages even if they are blank and the front of the book and that’s where the renumbering happens.)

Ann, how do you get the entire book? I can only get snippets when I search, and that is not very useful. There is no download entire book option on my screen.

Rob

Try:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2Mo1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA382&dq=Geschwind+roses&as_brr=1

Link: books.google.com/books?id=2Mo1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA382&dq=Geschwind+roses&as_brr=1

I’m almost typing at the same time as Henry. (He’s faster).

My link is the same and on that page, below the image of the title page, I have the options of “Read this book” or “Download PDF”

Since you’re in the USA you shouldn’t be running into the problem that someone in Switzerland had trying to download the ARS annuals; he just couldn’t do it. Google had a block on some countries apparently. (My guess is that they blocked countries who had said no to access to library collections.)

Right now, Google is putting up really rare things from Harvard and Michigan and other German Rose books as well as the Journal des Roses in French. I’ve found a lot of rose books from the Bodleian Library from Oxford, England.

I don’t understand how a memory stick works and have decided not to try. I am simply and totally in awe of the library I’m building thanks to Google and feel so rich for being able to access so many books that are undeservedly rare.

Ah, it’s not fair! I’m in the Netherlands and that probably causes me not to have the download option. Well, let’s see if there is a possible work-around…

Rob

Rob,

Sorry I got your location wrong.

If you’ve a university nearby, and if they’ll let you use their computers (here that happens with our state supported Universities because we are taxpayers), there are different levels of Google and other data base memberships and there are papers I can access at the library that I’d have to pay for from home.

There is also an EU program to replicate rare manuscripts within the EU to make sure that none are held in single locations. I’ve been on their site through the British National Library.

Ann

Has anyone translated Hybridization u Samlingzucht der Rosen into English or French by any chance?

Yeah, Google opened the download now also for non-US residents! Thanks, Don, for upping the thread so I tried it again. I can’t anwer your question though.

Rob

Don I do not know if anyone has translated it into English. I have read whole paragraphs in different place in English. I would also like to see it translated completely.

The value of many of Geschwind’s cultivars is just beginning to be understood in Finland, where practically none of the modern climbers and ramblers are hardy. Quite a few rose enthusiasts are now testing them in our climate. They are not available in Finland yet, but it is pretty easy to mail order from Germany now that there are no import restrictions within the European union.

I have Geschwind’s Leopold Ritter, said to be a multiflora rambler, and I can say that it’s flowers are absolutely stunning. Dark velvety crimson and cupped. They have a strong fragrance that, unusually, doesn’t fade in the evening or in cool weather. It seems to repeat pretty well.