full rugosa X blanda scientific paper available for download

Select Full Text (PDF) on the right side. See:

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/5/597?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexacttitle=and&andorexacttitleabs=and&fulltext=rose&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

Link: www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/5/597?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexacttitle=and&andorexacttitleabs=and&fulltext=rose&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

Interesting paper Henry, and to my eyes a high quality effort that is easily readable. Pity back a decade or so ago I was not that interested as I drove the entire route of their sampling campaign right to Perce. I take away the introgression info, and muse in my mind whether my rose garden stands as a threat to the native species as again they conclude a threat exists (intra-breeding with R. acicularis noted) in my region - I doubt it as most were non-hardy European roses. Now I have started to move to all hardy and local derivatives.

Very good paper Henry. Thanks for finding it. Roses certainly challenge the classic definition of a species at every turn. It does make me wonder if their is such thing as a pure species rose out there? I also wonder if man were to disappear off the face of the earth what are the long term effects of all the things we have done?

“It does make me wonder if their is such thing as a pure species rose out there?”

I’ve been saying this for a long time.

There’s always the Holy Rose :slight_smile:

Wait I grow R.sancta … you mean it is the only “true species rose” :slight_smile:)) good hardiness here when small because the canes are pliable and get buried under the snow.

No, it was just a pun on the words “pure species” :slight_smile:

roflol