Fru Dagmar Hastrup F2?

Has anyone selfed FDH? With unknown parentage, it should be a worthy undertaking - and such an obvious one that it never crossed my mind before.

Well I have come close. (FDHx Rosa woodsi) x FDH. They all looked the same with the only diference that some rebloomed. I still like to use it as one of my favourite parents. The shape of the flower and the clean pink. lovely.

Kevin they look the same as FDH and they started flowering when they were around 4 months old. They never stop blooming.

Warren

FDH does not self for me OPs are bee crossed.

That the progeny would look like FDH is so improbable (and disappointing). I have a hedge of 50 FDH - and assume at least some of these hips are selfed - but I prune them, along with the hips, in late winter. Based on your comments, I’ll continue to do so. Thank you both. You’ve secured space for better seedlings.

Kevin here are a couple of pics of FDH X FDH seedlings. Theses seedlings were treated with a known Trifluralin concentration to doubled their chromosomes.
FDH.jpg
FDH 2.jpg

Hi Warren,
Could you say what concentration of Trilifloran used. Have you confirmed using diferent methods for tetraploids. Are there any significant signs like thicker leaves, greater substance. Is it fertile? Where/when did you did you apply the chemical. (sorry last question) Did you use DMSO?
I use technics similar on Prunus and are eger to learn of diferent methods for other Rosaceae.
If you want you could send PM.
The photo is of Prunus ussuriensis converted.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
image.jpg

Johannes the concentration was 1: 70,000, from the literature I have read, it is more effective in Diploids to Triploids. One thing you have to remember , the higher the ploidy the more representation of possible genes you don’t want to have are there. These seedlings have not been tested for ploidy levels, although there was considerable distortion of the leaves as the regrew. Trifluralin was applied at the cotyledon leaf stage, to the growth tip. I did not use DMSO. One of the seedlings is displaying foliage which is double the size of non treated seedlings and one seedling has formed sinuous growth low to the ground. All seedlings seem to be fertile, The top pic shows a formed hip in the background, pollen is also fertile when used. I have also used this technique on Hulthemia persica and Therese Bugnet seedlings

Warren.

Thanks Warren - Looks like a chip off the ol’ block, all right. The leaves look exceptionally dark and almost waxy, especially in the second picture. That’s a striking plant!