Free open pollinated seeds

The hips that I harvested last fall are listed at:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en

If you are interested in some of the OPEN POLLINATED seeds, please send me your priority list by e-mail. The procedure that I will follow is:

1. I will wait until March 1 before starting to distribute the seeds.

2. At that time I will select the first choice seeds to the person whose e-mail request has the earliest timestamp. I will then place that person’s list on the bottom of the pile and select the second person’s first choice (if those seeds were already spoken for, I will go down that person’s list until I reach a seed request that has not been spoken for). I then will repeat the procedure for the next person’s list, etc. Thus, depending on the number of requests that I get, you could get anywhere from zero batches to all or almost all of those that you request.

There is no charge for the seeds (not even postage). I have been repaid by others sending me seeds of theirs. There are no restrictions on what you can do with the seeds.

For seeds from large batches, I will break the batches down to what I consider a reasonable number per request.

Please do not send a request for “all” or “any” (i.e. please name the specific seeds you are interested in). Any requests posted to this web site will be ignored as there is no way to determine the time of those requests.

Please include your post office mailing address in a form such that I can cut it out and tape it to your package.

For requests from outside the U.S., I will write on the outside of the package “Contents: rose seeds”.

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en

Henry,

I can’t access the spreadsheets. I just get a page to sign up for Google features.

Sorry Joan and others who could not open the link.

Please try:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en

Hello Henry,

Thanks for such a wonderful offer!

I ve got my list all ready but your email link says that it had been disabled due to spam…

Is there another email address??

ThankS

Hi,

My e-mail address is:

kuska@neo.rr.com

Henry,

I’m aware that you have sent rose seeds to Canada before, but have you had any success sending them after 911 marked with “rose seeds” on the package?

If not, then there’s no point giving you my list if it will turn out to be a waste of time.

Hi Dee,

I m in Canada as well and have traded with many people in the US for seeds. I ve only ever lost 1 out of ~100. I do notice that they take longer to get here though and once in a while it s opened by our Customs people. I think it s ok.

S

Dee, no one has ever reported back to me that they had problems (from any country).

I’m surprised at the above comments because two types of seeds I had sent to Virginia at one time were opened by U.S customs. In one packet were scarlet runner beans, opened and deliberately crushed to pieces with what seemed to be a blunt object like a hammer. The other packet containing blue sweet peas was opened, but the peas untouched. The U.S recipient informed me that my mail had been opened and my seeds crushed to pieces. And this was during the Christmas season. Was I pissed? Take a wild guess.

A person on this forum sent me rose seeds from the U.S two seasons ago that didn’t make it to Canada. Perhaps it’s all in the packaging, the timing, and declaration of goods…I haven’t a clue.

Having said that, I did manage to receive asparagus seeds from Virginia, so I’m willing to try again, Henry. I will e-mail you a list as soon as I can - you can see my reasons for being doubtful, however.

Dee.

Dee, I think that the customs inspectors on this side of the border operate a bit differently, sometimes, than their US counterparts. I would love to get some of Henry’s seeds, but I think that I will be having a hard enough time with space issues before spring arrives.

Liz

Custom inspections on our side may improve our chances of receiving seeds from the U.S, but who’s to say the same kind of decimation or confiscation won’t happen again when I try to send Henry some seeds in return?

There’s no telling.

Dee, I probably will not be in a position to receive rose seeds as I now have about 1000 plants, will be 71 this year (and neither I nor my wife are in the best of health).

We are considering moving to an area closer to one of our children / grandchildren. We stayed in this area up to now because we lived close to my wife’s mother. She was 96 and still lived alone. She passed away last week so we now have some major decisions to make.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your Mother-in-law Henry. I hope you find a lovely new place to live and get to keep breeding roses for many years to come.

Henry,

I am also sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Having met you and your wife both; I wish you both well and may you find a larger yard to hold your many fine roses.

Please take your time answering the email I have sent you. It is nothing too important.

Mike

Henry, I understand. I’m sorry for your loss. Take good care of yourself, and best wishes.

This past spring and summer I took pictures of my non comercial roses when they first flowered. They can be viewed at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

You may find the pictures of use when deciding which seeds to request. (The pictures should be arranged from earliest first blooming to latest first blooming.)

Link: picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

I love the double white rugosa you labeled as commerce worthy, Henry. I’d grow it if a company sold it, especially since Snow Owl sucks lol. I love Rosa rugosa alba, but it is too big for modern gardens.

Henry,

Thanks for the rose seeds, they arrived this week and are already potted up and outside to receive some spring freeze/thaw treatment for a about 6 weeks or more.

I really appreciated the offer, as none of my seeds have germinated this year…and I really went all out this year in collecting seeds from all sorts of rarer hardy cultivars, and I read all I could and did the moist paper towel baggies in the fridge and still nothing :frowning:

Hopefully I’ll have better luck with your seeds and going au naturel…

Thanks so much for a second chance!

Koren in Saskatoon

My seeds arrived safely in Southern Ontario. There’s still snow on the ground, but it feels like spring. I expect I’ll plant them outside in pots as well.

Many thanks Henry.

Lydia

I recieved my seed last week. They are now in the fridge. Hopefully these and the seeds I got from Jinks have a better fate then those that sproated earlier. They have fallen to spider mites that spread like wildfire in side after I toke some cut flowers inside during the fall. But we live and learn. Hopefully the spring weather will solve this problem on the ones that survive and on the open pollinated seed that is left.