Found another species- trying to identify.

• note the length of the stipules on the setigera leaf held up as comparison.

The stipules are about as half as short as the other species I have collected and identified as setigera, it has other subtle differences as well (such as better shade tolerance/resistance to mildew, a different shape/form).

While it looks related to roses. It looks like it might not be in the rosa family to me. Some of your pictures look like the leaflet groups are directly opposite one another. And the last two from the angle of the photo looks like the leaflet groups are in a circle array of three around the bud. Every rose I know the leaves alternate on the stems and are in groups of one. Some however have such a small inter node difference that they appear in groups of two especially at terminal buds and flower buds. I could be wrong and maybe it is just the angle. Or maybe there is some botany thing I am missing.

Adam, I sort of noticed this too. I keep going back to and comparing it to setigera because I’m wondering if it could be species variability within setigera. This one does seem to have a grouping of three leaves around new shoots that with my other setigera isn’t so pronounced. Also my other setigera wants to have five leaflets fairly regularly, this one seems to be partial to three. Maybe it’s a size thing.

\

With R. Setigera being most likely related to rubus that does throw the possibility that normal gentic information is translated differently. Where the branches join the main stem does not look like a rose further up the branch does look like a rose or rubus. Too bad it does not have fruit. That would help with the identity.

So your other R. Setigera do show some multiple grouping of leaves around new branches? If it does maybe this is not normal but at least part of the natural diversity seen in the species.

That looks like a Raspberry to me!

I instantly thought the genus Rubus, too.

You think? I know I seem to pick these things out a lot! Maybe I need a botany class or two.

Don’t feel too bad they are very close to each other.

A good botany book will also do the trick. It can be fun I think at least to try to identify different plants. If you are interested in learning I recommend getting something basic with a lot of picture but hand drawn pictures not photo graphs. Usually the ones with photographs are harder to decipher. There was a book a while back that was pretty popular called Botany for Gardeners I do not know if it was any good, but the library probably have it. The good thing about learning a little botany you can narrow down the plant family once you learn their major characteristics. Rosa is pretty new to me. Around here there are not too many examples growing wild. So I am learning it slowly but surely.

Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon is terrific - highly recommended. From the very basic to all the triploid type stuff. Easy read and easy to understand - many Aha! moments for me.

Can be ordered from Timberpress. No I don’t work for them :slight_smile:

Thanks y’all, I’ll look into trying to find one of these.