First sprout!

Wow, that seems very quick! I had run out of room in those Jiffy seed trays so ended up using a zip loc baggie for a couple of extra seeds. I will have to check back through my papers to see when I planted them but it seemed very fast to me! I hope that it survives my inexperienced care!

I went down to check them today and one was sprouted! I moved it into a little pot and put it back in a baggie. I hope it wasnt wrong to move it like that. I am pretty sure the little root end was still attached to it. At least there was a piece that hung down that I was careful to gently get it all up.

It actually still had the end of the seed on it. I was too exited to just leave it in the baggie since I feared the others might start sprouting and the roots would get tangled up or something. I gently pulled off the seed part and the 2 green leaves (I am not sure if they are the real ones though) look great and healthy to me.

A friend sent me an extra copy of the RHA handbook for beginners so I will read through that tomarrow. I will probably learn I did everything wrong… :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought it took a very long time to get them to germinate. I was surprised to see it there and am wondering if I should move it back down to the lights it was under or keep it up here by the kitchen window counter…

Thanks,

Maria

Congrats-- Keep everyone posted of your first seedling.

Hi Enrique,

It was one from the ones you sent me!

A question, is the ‘Basye’s Amphidiploid (spelling??)’ you sent me the same thing as ‘Kim Ruperts Basye seedlings’?

Another friend sent me some hips and she included some of these. If they are the same as the ones you sent me I can pass them on to another person wanting to try them.

I hope it keeps growing! Are we supposed to let it bloom this first year or should I pinch them? I would think it better to pinch them, right?

Maria

‘Basye’s Amphidiploid’ is the tetraploid rugosa hybrid I collected as open pollinated hips from the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. Kim, who I can imagine have tons of hybrids decended from this superbly disease free rose, is probably different ( a hip from a seedling of Basye’s Amphidiploid?). What you’ve got to do is just ask. The Basye’s Amphidiploid I provided you were previously stratified for several months. That’s why it sprouted so early.

If you are intrested in how Basye’s Amphidiploid looks, here is a pic I took last spring.

The link is ‘R. moschata abysinnica’-- the massive thing that looks like a tree is actually a rose. It is the grandparent (greatgrandparent?) of your seedling.

If anyone is intrested, I have collected fresh seed about a month ago.

Link: www.hpphoto.com/rs/EDCF426E-9ABD-11D6-B42C-0090277A760E/screen

Kim’s BA seedling was a seedling of Basye’s Amphidiploid. That makes the seeds I sent you the second generation. The seeds Enrique sent you are first generation seeds. You can also expect a color diference, since Kim’s seedling is a pale lavender/white, while BA is a dark pink. Kim’s seedling also repeats (and BA doesn’t) so the majority or all of the seedlings from Kim’s plant will repeat.

Joan

Ahhh, thanks for letting me know that! It will be interesting to see how they turn out then! I will have first and second generations of it then.

I was thinking of pinching them so I can see growth habits their first year. I was thinking of planting all the ones I like the look of into a test bed I am putting in next spring. I have plenty of room to just let them grow for a few years but I am wondering on the spacing of them. How big should I expect them to get in about 3 years?

Thanks again to both of you!!

Maria

A few years ago I grew several seedlings from Bayse’s Amphidiploid. Of about six, one is a very dwarfed plant at about 16 inches, one has topped out at about 6’ x 6’, and the others were discarded the first year due to mildew problems. The dwarfed one has never bloomed and will be culled this spring if it doesn’t. The big one I kept does not repeat but has such a spectacular display in the spring I keep it just for its beauty. I have a seedling from it crossed with mixed stripe HT and floribunda pollens from seedlings of mine that sprouted last spring. I’m hoping it will bloom this next spring so I can see if it picks up traits from other roses easily, If it does I will be using it alot later on for its disease resistance. I have never seen a single spot or mildew of any kind on it. All of the seedlings from it have been very, very thorny. Its blooms are nearly identical to the photo Enrique so kindly posted.

Randy

Randy, Basye said in his ARS article that this may be a homozygous rose-- so it is most likely that your seedling may had been self-pollinated.

Should this be considered as a species rose such as R. kordesii?