First generation intercrossing

I have several first generation seedlings of ‘Champlain’ x ‘Seedling’. The pollen parent is a once bloomer with many good qualities. I assume the usual way to try for a repeat bloomer in the second generation is to backcross the first generation seedlings. Would I be better off intercrossing (is this the correct term?) the first generation seedlings to try and get a repeat bloomer which would be more likely to inherit the good qualities of the once bloomer?

That sounds very reasonable Fred. By intermating the first generation seedlings that are one time blooming you would get a reduced frequency of repeat bloomers. Inbreeding in roses (selfing, sibmating, backcrossing) generally leads to weaker seedlings, but some vigorous ones can result. Are there any other repeat flowering or one timers masking repeat bloom alleles that that you would consider crossing these seedlings with that can help you accumulate the traits you are interested in?

Sincerely,

David

I wasn’t clear, what I meant by “By intermating the first generation seedlings that are one time blooming you would get a reduced frequency of repeat bloomers” is a lower frequency of repeat bloomers relative to backcrossing to ‘Champlain’, the repeat blooming parent.

David

David, yes,I do have other repeat bloomers with which I intend to cross my three Fl seedlings. They would include ‘John Davis’, ‘Morden Blush’ and more. The Fl seedlings from ‘Champlain’ are all extremely winter hardy here in Zone 4 Vermont. ‘Champlain’ is not. The original pollen parent responsible for the seedlings’ hardiness is most likely a chance seedling, which I found growing in an abandoned orchard.