First buds on R. roxburghii normalis X Mons. Tillier seedlin

One of last year’s seedlings from the cross R. roxburghii normalis X ‘Mons. Tillier’ has its first buds. The buds have prickles similar to roxburghii. The blooms are going to be double. That’s a good sign of hybridity since normalis is single. I would like to cross this with its sister seedlings and other diploids, however, none of its sisters are in bloom, and only a few other diploids are in bloom here right now, Mons. Tillier, Old Blush, Magic Wand, and Ruth’s Red China. I will try Magic Wand pollen on this seedling, but haven’t decided what other crosses to try. Any suggestions?

[attachment 632 RoxMnT11a.JPG]

Oh, it looks like it’s going to be really lovely and have a lot of petals!

LOVE the ruffled petals forming in that bud, and can’t wait to see your follow up photos.

As for crosses, I’m thinking I might be inclined to cross with a broader petaled rose than Magic wand. I’m not familiar with the offspring of that rose, but I would want to give the ruffling more substance to play on.

Thanks! My goals for the next generation of roxburghii hybrids are to maintain the disease resistance and add remontancy.

I wish there were healthy fertile diploids in bloom with broad substantial petals. The best at the moment is Mons. Tillier, but it is one of the parents of this seedling, and I’m hesitant about inbreeding.

Magic Wand is healthy, reblooms well, and has fertile pollen, so I will try it on this seedling. I’m thinking that it isn’t the best seed parent since Ralph Moore used it mainly as a pollen parent. Has anyone tried it as a seed parent?

Old Blush isn’t quite as healthy or floriferous as Magic Wand in my garden. I haven’t had much success with it as a seed parent.

Ruth’s Red China is a found rose sold by Vintage Gardens. It may not be diploid, but it looks and acts like a China, and most of them are diploid. Unfortunately, it is a mildew magnet here. Has anyone tried crosses with it?

Jim, Purpurea is bullet proof here in Encino. Vigorous, totally healthy, gorgeous foliage, in fact, the plant is nicer than the flower after a few hours of being open. It’s definitely pollen fertile, I don’t know about seed yet, but I’d imagine it is.

There are a lot of modern diploids possibly more suited to your goals.

Kim, Purpurea is bulletproof here in the Monterey Bay area too. The flowers probably last longer here than they do in Encino. I’ve been wanting to cross it with roxburghii for a couple of years, but they haven’t been in bloom at the same time. It was severely deer pruned last year and will take time to recover. I checked it this morning and found a single bud on it, so I may be able to cross it with this seedling. I’d love to know Purpurea’s parentage. It doesn’t look like a pure China. Coincidentally, one of the other roses named Purpurea is a hybrid roxburghii. I’d like to get a plant of that Purpurea, but it doesn’t seem to be available in the USA.

[quote=PacificJade]

There are a lot of modern diploids possibly more suited to your goals.[/quote]

I agree, but the only diploids in bloom here right now are the ones I mentioned, so those are the only ones that I can cross with this seedling. I may try to save some of the seedling’s pollen to use on later-blooming diploids. If anyone has healthy remontant diploids in bloom, and would willing to send me pollen, please contact me.

I wish I had pollen to send you. Coffee Bean has one bud showing color, and Miracle on the Hudson has one bloomed bursting. Neither are dilpoid.

The first bud finally opened on this seedling. It opened very slowly, which I think is a good thing. It is not a bad bloom for a first generation species cross. This bloom had no anthers, so I didn’t get any pollen from it. This seedling’s pollen parent, Mons. Tillier, often has few anthers, especially in the first blooms of the season. Perhaps this seedling’s later blooms will have some anthers. I put Magic Wand pollen on this bloom’s stigmas.

There are buds forming on two of the other seedlings from this cross. The three that are starting to bloom are the most vigorous seedlings I’ve ever had. They grew from small seeds to 5 - 7 feet tall in their first season. The first one to bloom is the least healthy of the three. I am anxious to the see the blooms on the healthiest, most vigorous of the roxburghii hybrids.

R. rubus is starting to bloom and I will try crossing it with the roxburghii hybrids. I haven’t used R. rubus before, so I don’t know how fertile it is, but it is a healthy diploid in bloom at the right time.

[attachment 672 roxMnT11d.JPG]

Congrats Jim T! …That is truly beautiful for a first flower!!

It is not a bad bloom for a first generation species cross.

I tend to think it’s not a bad flower for most crosses. It is a great flower for a first generation cross.

Thank you, George & Jackie! Another seedling from this cross just opened its first bloom. It is similar to the first seedling’s bloom, but a little larger and paler. Unlike the first seedling, the second did have a few anthers.

None of my R. roxburghii normalis X Mons. Tillier seedlings produced a big flush this year, but a couple of them have been producing occasional blooms all summer. I wasn’t expecting such a long bloom season from this cross.