Favorite Soil for rose seeding!

Hi all,

I am very excited because I will be sowing my first rose seeds today! Question however-- I have learned time and again that each species of plants has its favorite soil for germination. Sometimes it just depends on the environment in which they are sown.

Do any of you have any reccomendations for soil for my seeds?

I am thinking on using a personal mix of mine of:

2 parts peat

1 part vermiculite

.5 part perlite

I would also plant the seed directly on top of the soil mix and cover the seeds with vermiculite(1/4 inch) then an added inch of perlite.

What do you think? Or what would you do different?

***I always add a powdered fungicide and use sterile soil when I sow seeds.

Let me know–

Thanks for helping a newcomer!

Ryan

Orem, UT

“I would also plant the seed directly on top of the soil mix and cover the seeds with vermiculite(1/4 inch) then an added inch of perlite.”

An added inch of Perlite??? I hope that’s a typo. There is no need to add 1.25" of covering over the seeds, and I would be concerned that it would be detrimental. I would suggest pressing the seeds into the surface of your mix, cover with only enough soil mix to hide the seeds and then add 1/4 to 1/3 inch of perlite on top.

As for your choice of soil mix, your mix sounds OK for starting the seeds, but you will want a richer mix to grow them on in, of course. I use the same mix for germination and growing on: Gardener and Bloome potting mix. Its their “all purpose” blend, and is the one I have settled on for most uses. It contains a high percentage of finely ground cellulose (wood) that allows for air in the mix and still holds adequate water. The blend you suggest will be satisfactory, I think. Just be careful how often you water, because the Peat will tend to hold a lot of water, which is not good for germinating rose seeds.

Paul

My sentence structure was not the best-- but that is what I was going to do— Thank You for telling me NO DON’T DO THAT!

Ryan