Favorite Minatures

I have a few miniatures. I would like to get some more to work with. I was wondering what are your favorite miniatures to work with. Thanks

On secound thought I thought I would be more specific. I got very little space for breeding right now. So most of my space is taken up by a few species and some shrubs. My thinking was to combine them with minatures. So that I have the characteristics I want to work with with leass space taken up. My main traits I am looking for in the minatures are small size, something that is fertile, and something that is versitile in the traits it accepts and passes on. Fragrance would be nice but not neccessary. Color is not a concern however. Ploidy does not matter either.

If you haven’t seen it already, Paul Barden has some excellent information on his web site.

Mark

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/mini.breeding.html

Link: www.rdrop.com/~paul/seedproduction.2004a.html

Adam, Your reasoning is why I have been using minis as well. I started with Loving Touch and Cal Poly. Both are excellent seed parents - accepting pollen from many different sources and high germination rates. I’ve used Explorers with them this year, for the most part. I’m trying a few more this year - Fairhope, Soroptimist International, Avandel, and Luis Desarmero.

Liz

I like Rosa Gilardi and Scarlet Moss because theyre friendly to my no-fungicide garden :slight_smile:

I think I know paul’s site almost by heart. It is such a great site. I wish all plant sites where as good as this one. I just wanted to get as many opions as I could. And maybe in the opions i would find a rose that for some reason would seem perfect for my program.

I am just starting out this year. I want to first breed some good parents to pass on the future traits I am looking for. Eventually I want to breed plants that repeat bloom really well, that are drought resistant, resistant to powdery mildew, look good in a border with other type of plants both in form and foliage (I think glauga foliage is awsome but looking at descendants think it is probably easily lost), not real tall, have good fragrance, are almost fool proof to grow, are more pastel in color (think alot of dark colors don’t fit in a mix border)and maybe some fall color in hips or leaf.

I also want to expand the genetic gene pool of modern roses and work with some species that hardly anybody has tried. I love to experiment with plants. I remeber growing radish year in year out one seed crop after the other under UV lights to see if I could get them to mutate. If your wondering; it is possiable to get them to mutate this way. I did find you have more success with UV by putting the plants first in a dark closet then exposing the to UV after the most of the cloropyh has broken down. But you get very few plants that show a phenotypical response. As of yet I have not seen a mutation that is induce by myself in any plant to show great merit. Have had alot of weird ugly things happen however.

Sorry I tend to ramble when I talk. But the point is that in the end I want to breed something totally different that can not be mistaken for some other rose. To do this I need to establish a wide base and work for there. I do not think say in terms of next year, but in terms of this is what I will do next year so that in twenty years I can get this. I wish sometimes I did think in terms of the shorter goal I certainly would not have all of this floating stuff in my head.

By the way anyone knows of a good diploid minature for breeding. Preferably a seed parent but a poleen parent is workable. Because I think that as a seed parent it is more likely to except pollen from a species. I don’t see a species being as acepting of pollen from a parent that may be to far from it genteicaly. And since ultimate goal is to go to tetraploid crosses with these if I get something sterile I can double the chromosomes anyway and maybe restore the fertility. I would however like to stay with at the diploid level for longer than this just because two sets of genes are easier to work with than four.

I would also like to know a little more about cal poly and Rosa Gilardi. Thank you all.

Baby Faurax isnt a mini, but is is a dwarf fertile diploid :slight_smile: I think it’s a great rose.

I forgot to add one to the list-- Baby Love. It’s more patio sized, but it breeds a lot of minis, shrublets and floribundas.

For hardiness & lovely leaves, consider Ag Canada’s Royal Edward. It also sets op seeds, so fertility shouldn’t be a problem. It would also contribute to hardier roots which are lacking in most minis. My seedlings from op hips are procumbent which in my colder climate is a plus. It could also serve as a link to species.

If you type royal into your browzers find comand at the web site below, you can see how I have used Royal Edward.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

Link: picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

I heard Si is a diploid. Is it fertile. Or is their some other fertile diploid minature.

There are a bunch of diploid minis that are mini x polyantha hybrids that come from the 1930s/40s/50s/60s. A lot of them are fertile. Many of them are micros.

Jadae is right and Rouletti is diploid as is ‘Oakington Ruby’. My ‘Petite Perle D’or’, also diploid.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=49237&tab=10