Euphorbia at Heirloomroses.com

Somebody responded to my response on helpmefind.com… There was a lot of talk about this rose 2 years ago, but it died down when there was no US source for it. There seems to be a US source for Euphorbia at last. Here’s a pic… The pictures I’ve put up doesn’t look like a perisca hybrid due to the lack of the red eye, but then again, it’s spelled as ‘Euphoria’ and could be a different rose…

Link: www.countrygardenroses.com/rose_pages/Euphoria.htm

Enrique,

It never was called Euphorbia. It has always been called Euphoria. More specifically, look it up as Intereup.

Jackson & Perkins brought it to the States to evaluate, but has not released it. Despite its attractive leaves, it may not be as healthy as would be wished. If you’d like to inquire of Keith Zary, maybe he would respond if you ask why Euphoria has not been introduced here by J&P. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to grow Euphoria, just to try it. I’ve been looking for it in the US since 1998 or 1999, so I’m glad to read that it’s available.

FWIW, the nursery at the link you gave is not in the US, but Heirloomroses.com does have Euphoria listed as Peachy Creeper. See the link below. Maybe the name was changed to avoid patent issues?

Peter

Link: www.heirloomroses.com/cgi/browse.cgi?page=item&cat=16&item=486

Does anyone know the parentage of the rose? The most I know is that it is has R. persica some where.

I don’t see the eye-- perhaps anyone else who grows this tell us if there is any?

How do we know that it has R. persica ancestry?

Botanica’s Roses says so, and someone else follows along with that claim (see HMF, the references tab), but do we really know that it has this ancestry? Has anyone who knows the ancestry made a claim about its parentage?

For what it’s worth, I grew this plant last year and the year before. It didn’t bloom at all in 2004, and didn’t bloom much in 2005, but the leaves and all three of the flowers were pretty, and we mustn’t overlook the leaf aspect of rosegrowing. :slight_smile:

Euphoria is available here, along with Pink, White and Yellow Euphoria. If there is R. persica in any of these, I wonder why they don’t have a red eye (I have not seen any of these, but I guess I would have known if there were Dutch roses with red R. persica eyes?). I think that would be the only reason to take the effort of using R. persica in a breeding program. Maybe they are spin-offs of this program with more interesting things to come?

Peter, did you use any of the pollen of the three flowers you got from Euphoria?

Rob

I didn’t use the pollen, but one of the flowers did set seed with pollen from my R15. The hip had 6 seeds. No germinations yet.

Tell us what you can about the Pink, White, and Yellow Euphoria. Are they sports? I found the code names’Interroept’ (Red Euphoria) and ‘Interriapho’ (White Euphoria). Both are supposedly available in the Netherlands. In addition, Pink Euphoria is listed by Hortico. No meaningful information is available about them–except that they were introduced in 1999. Seven years later, we still don’t know about them in the USA. The names are listed in one or two places, but nothing significant is said about these varieties. I found no pictures.

As it was said they were Rosa persica derivatives: I grew them all. Yellow was planted in 2000, the others in 2002. They are Ground Cover roses.

Persica influence is not obvious. That is all I can say.

Probably not sports.

Ilsink the breeder did release many shrub to GC roses. Another set is called Nature: Peach N, Pearl N, Yellow N. and Pink Nature at least. Planted in 2002.

Not desease resistant for me. All did BS. Not used in breeding.

Pierre Rutten