Else Poulsen and Iceberg as pollen parents

Is Else Poulsen and Iceberg fertile to be used as pollen parent on polyanthas. Thank you. Sincerely Fred

Iceberg is fertile, Fred. It’s in the parentages of several roses. Infact, David Austin has a line of English roses that’s based on the seedlings of Iceberg inbreed with each other.

And Else Poulsen seems to be fertile as a pollen parent, but I’ve seen most parentages use it as a hip parent.

Let us know how it works out for you.

This year I’ve made a few crosses of Champney’s Pink Cluster X Iceberg this year. I remember that Iceberg has a mixed ploidy count in its pollen. I think David Zlesk was the one who theorize that a tetraploid rose could result by pollinating Iceberg’s pollen on diploid roses.

I tried this on R. foliolosa, but it only resulted selved seedlings which I discarded.

But I hope to get something real good with Champney’s Pink Clusters.

Enrique Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. Sincerely, Fred

Hi Fred, Is your goal to get down to the diploid level? I think it is possible using ‘Iceberg’ pollen on diploid polyanthas. Otherwise some nice triploid hybrids with diploid polyanthas might be nice too. The new ‘Moondance’ is a seedling of ‘Iceberg’ as a male parent and like Enrique highlighted many of David Austin’s roses trace back to it. ‘Simplicity’ I think is also a seedling of ‘Iceberg’. I bet there are a lot of different descendants. If you use it as a male rather than a female I think you will be happier. It sounds like you suspect that and are planning on doing so already. Maybe trying ‘Out of Yesteryear’ might be a nice triploid male of a similar color, but greater petal count you may want to try.

In crosses of 4x females x ‘Iceberg’ I got almost half triploids, so ‘Iceberg’ is producing a good proportion of functional 1x pollen.

Sincerely,

David

David, Thank you very much for your information. Yes, I wish to work with polyanthas and use some chinas in crossing with the polyanthas. I also want to try Else Pousen and Iceberg since I already have them in my garden. I was also thinking of trying Mrs Dudley Cross sometime because of it being thornless. Do you think it would work on the polyanthas. I appreciate your and Enrique’s input and advice because I am very new in crossing roses but wish to learn. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Fred

Have lots of fun Fred. Start of whatever roses you have in your garden. If you see a really tall pink grandiflora with several flowers… it’s probably a Queen Elizabeth.

That’s the most satisfying rose to use for all people. I use it as a hip parent all the time now. It has lots of seeds with lots of germinations and is very fertile. In fact, I’m using it again to repeat the Hulmatheia cross Queen Elizabeth X Persian Sunset.

I’m getting good germinations from that cross, which is good.

Persicas are very new novelty roses and so I want to work it with “easy to breed” roses such as Queen Elizabeth.

I’ve grown Else Poulsen for over 20 years now and it is the worst mildew magnet in my garden. Without agressive spraying, the plant develops heavy mildew shortly after breaking dormancy and continues until the first snowfall.

You might reconsider using EP in a breeding program for this reason.

It’s good to know ‘Iceberg’ produces diploid pollen though it mildews badly here as do many of it’s descendants including ‘Heritage’.

Meg and Robert, Thank you for your information. I live in Abilene, Texas and have had no mildew or blackspot problems on Else Poulsen or Iceberg for about 8 years but that does not mean I want have later on. I appreciate your input. Thanks again. Sincerely, Fred