Dreaming Free rose

Has anyone ever seen ‘Dreaming Free’ by Bing Lim? I found the descripion on 'BAIfree' Rose and it says that it is a mauve thornless rose. I would really like to have it. Mr. Lim has some good roses. And I am trying to breed some thornless roses that are cold hardy. His roses are usually very cold hardy.

Daniel

Daniel,

If you want thornless and hardy, I suggest you work with ‘Commander Gillette’ by Basye. Ping’s ‘Dreaming Free’, while undoubtedly a fine rose, is listed as hardy only to Zone 6, which is about the same as most Hybrid Teas. What Zone are you in?

My guess is that the zone 6 on HMF is just the default zone. When Ping was associated with Bailey’s he used to test his plants in Minnesota. But now that they have parted ways I don’t know if he still does. But I still would suspect that it is hardier than a Hybrid Tea, most likely to zone 5. Commander Gillette hasn’t been fully hardy here for me, though a little hardier than the Ping Lim roses I have, so it’s probably about a zone 5a/4b rose.

Daniel,

I have some open pollinated seeds you might find useful in your search. See URL:

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.59114

Yes I think that the Zone 6 listed is a default. There is very little info on Dreeming free on helpmefind. I have Kashmir rose by Mr. Ping and it is very hardy. I think it is hardier than Knockout.

I am in the very top part of zone 5 almost zone 4. I always thought that Commander Gillete was not that cold hardy. I cover my hybrid tea rose very heavy. This year has been very cold but we have a lot of snow so I think that most roses will be OK.

Paul Barden, ‘34-06-05’ is a beautiful rose. It does remind me of sequoia ruby but the color is more purple and soft. I bought sequoia ruby that last year that Mr. Moore had his nursery. I had a few seeds off of it that I had crossed with Gina rose. Only a couple sprouted. I would like to have some seeds from your rose, thanks.

Daniel

Daniel,

Email me privately with a mailing address so I can send you these seeds. :slight_smile:

Paul (trospero at gmail dot com)