Do you find it offensive for others to breed with YOUR roses

You’re right, Jim. He was a true teacher. It was also the only way for him to have people he could actually converse with; who could push his envelope and help him see things through their eyes. He developed all of us who would permit it, then exercised and enjoyed us every chance he got to be with us. He had to. He was in solitary confinement at the nursery. Carolyn and Burling were busy with their own focuses. He needed the mental stimulation only spending time with others who understood and “spoke roses” the way he did and the only way he could obtain that was to develop it in any who would listen. While I loved him as a cherished friend, mentor and teacher, I also felt very sorry for him for that, and a number of other reasons.

I never meet him but I would have loved the opritunity. I did not mean it to sound like he only did it because he was dieing. From all that I have heard about him it sounds like he was very open in sharing everything he knew. Even to the point it sometimes hurts his competative advantage in the industry. Unselfish. I don’t know if it were me and this is how I made my living if I could be as helpful to others as he was. I think I would hold something back but it is refreshing to see someone who seemed to hold nothing or very little back.

Oh by the way I can’t wait for the video on Ralph to come out. He is not my favorite plant breeder but amoung roses I think he probably is number one.

He held little back as far as knowledge. Plants, he held back until he was comfortable he knew what to expect from them. He created the little rose, Zee, and lost it. He’d never shared it with anyone, so when his plant died, that was it. He lamented its fairly often over the years, usually saying he’d love to see what this or that one would do with it. After that, he became more open to giving plants to people he knew he could trust with them.

He had one tradition he held to quite a bit. When he’d give you a plant, as he told you about it, he cut all the forming hips and flowers from it. Harm Saville visited him and admired Rise’n Shine before it had been released. He asked Ralph for a plant of it, which he gave him. The story went that it had been pollinated and when the resulting seedling was found sufficiently good to be introduced, Harm told Ralph about it. Ralph asked him what he was going to do with it as it had resulted from deliberate pollination at Sequoia. Ralph felt the seedling should have been his. Harm’s reported response was “too bad for you”. Rainbow’s End was introduced as a Nor’East rose with Saville credited as the breeder. From them on, any time he gave you a plant, he most often cut all the flowers off it.

That’s why I listed Jim as co-breeder of my OPK206 seedlings ('OPK206-1' Rose and 'OPK206-2' Rose ). Looking back at that decision I probably should have asked Jim first because he may not want to be associated with them… but I figured they weren’t of my doing in any way except germinating them. Whilst I’d never introduce an OP seedling from anyone else it will be important breeding roses and I wanted to ensure Jim’s generosity was acknowledged.

I understand the sentiment precisely, Simon!

Hi Simon,

I am so glad that a least one of the K206 seeds gave you a great blotch! Those kind of blotches are few and far between! My thanks also goes to Don Holeman for helping to get the seeds prepared and sent to you. It will be very fun to see what you produce from it.

Mr. Moore was an example to all of us (even those who never met him). And Adam, I am hopeful that the “An Afternoon with Ralph Moore” videos will be available soon. John Petrula was incredibly forward thinking to preserve those moments in time. They are a true gift to us.