Dawn Star, Grande Amore, Honeysweet

Has anyone tried these yet, either as plants or as breeders?

Dawn Star is one of the “new” Buck roses, and it has 2 doses of Applejack in it. Im wildly curious about this one. The color is average, but not bad.

Grande Amore is a healthy red HT, which is a pretty rare combo. I need to acquire it, even if it isnt a good breeder. Everyone needs a good red cut rose :]

Honeysweet, the Buck rose bred from a massive-sized and highly unusually colored HT, Vienna Charm (deep ochre gold). I have Winter Sunset, but WS fades so badly that its white during the summer, even in Oregon. HS has lasting color.

I plan on using Honeysweet to cross with my Penny Lane, which is New Dawn/Anne Harkness, and Salita (the hardy, neon orange-red climber) hybrid to see if I can attain a nice coral climber. The current hybrid has OGR form in dusky coral, but it has New Dawn’s lame growth pattern and the color isnt “popping” good enough for a climber. I want to create a healthy, hardy, tame, coral-toned climber than is neither dull or overpowering. The scarlet climbers are too blinding for vertical color and the pink climbers are a dime a dozen. ‘America’ is the right idea on a horrible plant, that is barely even a climber. I grew it as a grandiflora for a decade, lol, because one could prune it to grow as one. Unfortunately, it was weak, for a climbe, with horrible blackspot. Its selling point as a climber was that it bloomed in sellable containers, without needing staking. I think people forget that staking is expensive for nurseries to commit to, and they will avoid selling staked plants 90% of the time.

Im also tempted to cross HS with WS for a better orange shrub stud rose. I have some wonderful orange-toned shrublets from (Cherry Meidiland x Livin Easy) x Oso Easy Paprika that I want to mix with more orange shrub types. If any of ya’ll want color to stick to future generations, use Cherry Meidiland. It produces BRIGHT tones and bicolors in whatever color comes up. It takes 2 generations to breed out the thorns though.

Last, Im tempted to cross Honeysweet onto my own Selfridges x Freedom. I absolutely love this rose, but I think I can do better:

I just planted Honeysweet last year. It did well in its first year. Even considering the very hot dry conditions. The color is very hard to describe.

I tried Honeysweet last year. I wanted to get its above average disease resistance, color, and form carried through. I also like the shape of the plant - well branched and rounded in my growing conditions. The leaves are great too, IMO.

I tried it both ways and believe it might be best as pollen parent. It does set hips, just not a high percentage. But this is based only on one year’s try so I may be wrong. Also, my plant is planted where it gets dry, and considering that this was a very hot and dry summer in Iowa, many of the failures may be attributed to that. I am going to try it again this year but will be focussing mainly as a pollen on my good hip setters. Oregon is generally a lot different than Iowa so you might have better luck with it being used as a seed parent. I did have one seedling come up with Prairie Lass as the seed parent. Unfortunately it died of damp off after forming the first few true leaves. Hopefully more will sprout from this cross and I can get a nice stippled shrub.

Getting it on a climber is an excellent idea. The color is not overpowering but vibrant so it should be nice to add to the verticle spaces. It could use some more disease resistance so I would avoid anything that is below average. It did take awhile for it to be hit with blackspot here - maybe lasted 1/2 to 2/3 of the growing season before it started blackspotting and then I’d say only about 10-20% of the plant was affected.

Michael, could you tell me what the yellow is in the photo please.

I tried Honeysweet as a seed parent several years ago and like Andre I didn’t get many seeds and no seedlings. I’ve used it as a pollen parent 5 or 6 times with a good number of seeds from only one cross and few seedlings. Mostly because I used it on plants that turned out to be not very good seed parents. I haven’t kept any seedlings from it, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try it a few more times because I think it has potential, I just need to find the plant to cross it with.

I’m curious as to what the yellow rose is also. I assumed it was Dawn Star until I looked it up on HMF and that’s not it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the Selfridges x Freedom cross (please don’t take offense for me trying to answer for you). If I remember correctly Michael posted a similar picture of the cross a few months back. Very impressive yellow from the pictures I’ve seen.

Yeah, thats definitely Selfridges x Freedom. I couldnt get the pic to post in the right spot to show why I’d want to cross it with Honeysweet.

Thank you for the information, all. I’m totally stoked for this season.

I forgot to ask about Gardens of the World, though. I have it on order >:] Its supposedly one of the randomly healthy HT types, like Roundelay can be.

Sorry, too distracted by the intoxicatingly pretty picture to comment on the text :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, a good flower on a good plant should be worthy–my advice is don’t be too picky about color, unless it looks like dead flesh or something! At least, don’t be so picky that you don’t find out how it performs well in other climates, assuming it’s an otherwise healthy and good performer where you are. You never know if your cast-off might not be a minor miracle for someone in a different climate/zone where good climbers aren’t already available in every other color.

Speaking of healthy HTs, have you ever tried ‘Veldfire’? It was great in the Midwest, and not awful here so far (this is not damning with faint praise). Haven’t had a chance to try it yet in breeding, but it seems like it could be good, if fertile.

Stefan

Yeah, but I absolutely love color. I’m educated in design, sadly. It’s an addiction :]

Haha, funny you should mention Veldfire, long a fav of mine, but my plant died awhile back and I was looking for it again. Then, just yesterday, I noticed it in the body bag selection at the local WalMart. Snagged it. $4 on “sale.” They sell it under its other name “Sunsation.”

I actually first learned about it after my mom stumbled across it at an Aldi–a Kordes rose in a German grocery store, who could resist that? It did so well for her that I got one from Vintage. There has been some blackspot, but it came late and wasn’t severe, which is far better than most hybrid teas here. I’m hoping that it can pass along some of its better qualities, including that brilliant color. It does have a slightly pink fade at the very end of its reasonably long floral life, but with orange roses it’s either a pink fade or an early shatter that ends the party.

I guess I’m mostly home-schooled on color, although I did study design in college, but not the form that emphasized color theory (although I suppose it could have). That would be a nice thing to be more educated about. :slight_smile:

Stefan

If you are working toward a coral climber have you considered using Crepescule? I had this one at one time but it was strangled by elm tree roots before I got to work with it. It is a prolific bloomer and makes good pollen.

Hi Joan, I tend to avoid direct tea-noisette descendants, because they loathhhhheeee wet soil and wet, cold winter air.

Danae and Trier are about my limits. Even Leonie Lamsch is “too tea” for here, as it will stick its nose up the minute you winter prune even tips of it.