Cut roses

Hi there,

First, i’m a total beginner…

I’ve read almost all of your articles, and websites and stuff and i’m very happy you guys share all this knowledge.

Just one question, does somebody use commercial cut roses for their breeding program? I’d love to use these varieties, but cant’t find anything about them. Are most of them sterile? Is it possible to use them?

I hope somebody would take the time to reply!

(excuse me for my horrible English language, i’m from The Netherlands!)

Greetings,

Maria

Many varieties grown for cut flower production aren’t very good in the garden.

Most cult rose crops are sprayed regularly for disease. There is no way of telling if they have disease resistance to make them desirable as breeding subjects.

Many times the blossoms are stored too long to be good for pollen but I know there are those who here have used them successfully for that purpose.

Maria

Cut roses are bred to be greenhouse grown. Generaly they are very erect growing with long stems (many too tall for garden use) and little foliage desease resistance. Particularly Black Spot to which they are not exposed in greenhouses.

They also are bred for slow opening long standing in water and strong hard petal. So much some never open on the plant.

However there are notable exceptions. I.e. Sonia Meilland that is as good for cut flower as it is as garden plant in most areas.

I now have 4 (Folksinger X red florist hybrid tea) seedlings planted out. It is too early to draw any conclusions.

I would only use them to bring in new colors. Otherwise, I dont see the purpose unless you are desperate for pollen or want to make florist roses. Some exhibitors in southern states use them in breeding for exhibition, but theyre not usually great for most rose growers. Also, they often have small flowers on stringy plants when grown in the garden. they look highly disproportionate.

Hoi Maria (ik ben ook Nederlands),

You may want to look into the Tantau line of cutflower roses to grow outside, the Freilander roses. There are several varieties this German breeder uses both as cut flower roses for production and for use by regular people for their garden. They may be a nice intermediate product for you to breed other roses that can grow in your garden but have flowers that are great for cutting.

By the way, some are very disease resistant and very popular, also in the Netherlands, like Nostalgie.

Rob

Link: www.rosen-tantau.com

Thank you all so much for your answers.

I will reconsider my goals and “breeding program”.

I hope to join you in the future with pictures of my seedling. But before that I might need you all to answer my questions!

Do you mean you want roses that last a long time as a cut flower?

Commercial cut flower varities are ‘greenhouse roses’- as other people have mentioned. They are selected to do well in that environment. They are kind of like a thouroughbred horse, they do one thing and they do it well.

However, there are garden varities that last well as a cut flower in a vase, some more so then others. If you are looking for flowers that last a long time in the vase, there are varieties you can look at, and some books on the subject. I don’t like the color but Fame! is said to last a long time in the vase.

Many cut flower varieties won’t drop their petals which is problematic in garden varieties.