Chromosome Doubling Experiment

Hi Warren!! That is great! Your last seedling pictured looks like a promising polyploid to me due to the wider secondary veins off of the midvein and more rounded leaflets.

Thanks David. The last two, also display the distance between leaf sets along the stalk, being more apart. The top one, although it may not have converted to a polyploid, its pollen will be used over the Virginiana hybrids which I have developed. I am hoping to develop some tough little critters.

Thanks for the update, Warren!

This is one of the Rugosa seedlings I treated with Trifluralin in August 2014. These were OP seedlings of ‘Frau Dagmar Hastrup’. I am wondering of any change due to the treatment, and its development as a sprawling ground cover type growth.

Warren
012.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Warren. i don’t have any insights regarding potential conversion. Assuming Frau has a degree of self-incompatibility, the pollen parent could also have modified the habit.

Hi warren,
I’m very interested in your experiment and the out come. I’m hoping to attempt this procedure in the near future.
Can you confirm for us at this time whether this Frau Dagmar Hartrup seedling is in fact Polyploid?

Further, how many seeds did you start with and what was the conversion rate?
Chuckp

Joe, I do not think there is any contamination from foreign pollen, over 90% where definitely FDH looking and I am assuming are all selfs.

Chuck I cannot confirm, because to that, one would have to get it tested, I haven’t done that yet, so I am only assuming it may have been altered in some way.
I treated 10 seedlings. A 50% died due to the treatment and some Pm infection. The other 5 where planted out in the plots, one of those has reverted back to FDH, one was broken off by birds and the other 3 are plodding along. I think the treatment shown in the Doubled Haploid Video from an other thread would be the best means of treatment.

This is one of the ‘Frau Dagmar Hastrup’ Seedlings which I treated with Trifluralin, late Autumn and still flowering.
Frau Dag.jpg

Lovely! How does the vigor compare to Frau herself?

Hi Joe the growth is little more compact, one of the other FDH I treated has decide to become a ground cover.

Warren

Joe here are a couple of pics displaying the foliage difference, the two to the right have been treated with Trifluralin, the one on the left is the control. The two treated show larger leaf size plus the middle one has added an extra pair of leaves making a count of nine.

Warren
rugosa trif.jpg

Warren,

You are getting a bud on a six month old rugosa?

Rob, Three posts up is a pic of the middle leaf’s bloom. These Rugosa’s were blooming 4 months after germination. I now have seedlings germinating from them as hip set is very good.

Warren

Warren your Mutabilis X Mutabilis is gorgeous in my opinion. I’d love to have one like it in my garden. Well you ever be registering it?

Foxinahole, this one has been named and registered, its called (Electric Poetry). It flowers right into winter here in Zone 9.

Warren

Thanks for the reply Warren c:
Is Electric Poetry available in the U.S.?, or can cuttings be sent by mail from Australia?

Warren,

That’s awesome that you got blooms on such a young plant. Besides being very cool, Isn’t that very unusual?

Rob when I had the trial gardens out on the farm, there were a clump of Rugosa, ‘Frau Dagmar Hastrup’ sedlings I grew and they flowered within the first year of germination. With this cultivar I don’t find unusual, but I am not sure of other Rugosa varieties.

Warren

Foxinahole this variety is not available in the US, and due to your quarantine laws I cannot send cuttings. This will be available in Europe in the next couple of years I think roses are imported to the US from Europe.

Warren