Choosing and Growing Roses for Beetle infested areas....

Early blooming Spinosissimas and species cultivars alike may be the answer for those who live in areas of Ontario and the U.S. that suffer hoards of Rose Chafer and Japanese beetles. Spinosissimas tend to bloom earlier than most species, OGR’s and modern shrubs, so their blooms may be enjoyed prior to when those beetles arrive. Gardeners in my area, including landscape sites that suffer these evil beetles have given up on roses, and I think early bloomers are fashionable and ideal for such infested areas without the use of chemical insecticides. Of course they will devour the foliage weather the rose is in bloom or not, but at least the blooms can be enjoyed prior to when those beetles arrive.

The rose of choice should depend on the type of beetle present at what time, the severity of infestation at hand, and the time the rose is in bloom for its environment. To use a rough example for the average gardener; Rugosas, HT’s and modern recurrent shrubs should not be grown in areas infested with Japanese beetles. OGR’s, r. caninae, gallicanae, carolinae, synstylae, etc, and modern shrubs (including Canadians) may not be grown in areas infested with Rose Chafer beetles, in which case very early blooming Spinossissimas might be the solution. My neighbour asked me to find her a rose that will beat the Rose Chafer season that starts here in mid-June. I’ve been meaning to try spinossissima cultivars for a long time, which accounts for my interest in Hazeldean.

If Hazeldean blooms in late June for you, Paul, then it might bloom in late May to early June for me along with the irises. It’s well worth the try to find out. I will forward you my address in spring.