'Carefree Sunshine' offspring

I’m trying to see if I can post images from a test-blog I was playing around with.

It seems that many of the seedlings from ‘Carefree Sunshine’ aren’t as healthy as it is.

Here’s a once-bloomer that is an exception to that generality.

(‘Fragrant Cloud’ x Rosa carolina) X ‘Carefree Sunshine’

I call this one “MR1”

Here’s another exceptionally healthy once-bloomer from ‘Carefree Sunshine’ pollen on a found rose (probably a Damask - maybe ‘Petite Lisette’).

Tom,

Both are lovely, but I am especially drawn to the second, with its luscious warm blush color. Very pretty indeed.

How old are these seedlings? Both are very nice.

Nice seedlings Tom, I like the second one also.

I like the first one Tom.

Patrick

I like both. I as just looking at your seedlings on hmf the other day.

Yellow Brick Road, which is 3/4 Carefree Sunshine, surprised me the other day while at Washington Park. I hadnt realized it was potently fragrant to both my girlfriend and I. It was as strong as Fragrant Cloud that day. The scent was reminiscent of the likes of Golden Masterpiece only way stronger.

So, I hope your seedlings pick up that scent. I have no clue where it is coming from but it was extremely surprising. Did you smell yours?

I think they are both lovely. It will be interesting to see if either carries a gene for repeat. Is either fragrant?

They are both lovely, but I too love the second one. I’d love to see photos of the whole plants.

Thanks to everyone for your interest!

Paul, Jeanie and Simon,

I hadn’t been as thrilled with the second one when it was a younger plant because I was so preoccupied with the first pictured seedling (which being 1/4 carolina seemed so much more interesting to me). After several years of seeing them both side-by-side, I have to say it’s gotten to be more of a toss up now. “MR1” isn’t nearly as fragrant as its mother or maternal grandmother. It isn’t even quite as fragrant as ‘Carefree Sunshine’, but it does have a little scent. The second seedling has a good, strong, old-rose-type scent. Neither of them is as disease free as ‘Carefree Sunshine’ but definitely above average for sure and way better than most ‘Carefree Sunshine’ seedlings I’ve grown. I’ll try to get whole plant shots downloaded soon.

Until then here’s another seedling that’ll be blooming for the first time ever that is the healthiest that they come, around here. It’s a half-sibling to “MR1” but the father was virginiana instead of ‘Carefree Sunshine’ - so it’s 3/4 native, 1/4 Hybrid Tea. I dissected one bug-munched flowerbud and it had lots of petals.

Tom,

I like all of them, they’re very pretty. It just makes it harder to wait to see how my Carefree Sunshine seedlings are going to turn out. I’m going to tax your memory here, but do you remember if any of your Carefree Sunshine seedlings didn

Thanks Paul. I don’t remember any rootless seedlings at all (from ‘Carefree Sunshine’). I would guess that the cross was a bad combination.

Here’s a whole plant shot of “Jefferson” (found rose) X ‘Carefree Sunshine’ for Simon…

And here’s the whole plant of “MR1” last year…

very cool :slight_smile:

Both are very, very pretty! The second one is rather striking, have you tried working with that one to perhaps get remonant offspring out of it? Maryland is so tricky with roses, blackspot just loves us so much.

I also like the idea of the 3/4th native rose, please post pictures of that when it’s in bloom!

Thanks for the pictures, look forward to more!

• Max E.

Thanks guys!

I’m currently putting ‘Home Run’ pollen on the “Jefferson” x ‘Carefree Sunshine’, hoping to get some rebloom and maybe also stack up even more disease resistance in the process.

I haven’t used “MR1” nearly as much as I should have been already. I have grown a few open-pollinated seeds (it sets lots) and have kept one that had a bloom at 1 inch tall. This one is only 4 or 5 inches tall now and hasn’t shown any more signs of wanting to bloom, but I hope it’ll end up being a repeat bloomer at maturity.

I know of one other person who has used MR1 pollen and has some reblooming seedlings -

The 3/4 native should open soon. I’ll be sure to post when it does. This one might or might not carry repeat. Only time and a bunch of seedlings will tell for sure.

Best wishes, Tom

Did I read here someplace that Carefree Sunshine produces a number of once bloomers? Can anyone comment?

Not to hijack the thread, but there is a thread on Garden Web asking about the potential chemical sensitivity of Carefree Sunshine. Reportedly, it spotted after receiving overspray of Spinosad. I wondered if anyone here sprays anything and might have noticed Carefree Sunshine being particularly susceptible to any chemical reactions?

While Spinosad is a pesticide, do the active ingredients qualify as chemicals? The active ingredient in SpinTor®, is a microbial insecticide that is derived from a species of Actinomycetes bacteria and a by product of wine making. It is called Saccharopolyspora spinosa and was discovered in soil samples. It is a fermented by product, much like Bacillus thuringiensis, and while it does kill insects that ingest it, it is non toxic when dry to touch, so that friendly, non plant eaters, i.e., lady bugs, bees, mantises, etc., are spared. Whether this bacteria has an effect on foliage or flower might also be related to other factors non-related to the Spinosad itself, but rather to mode of application, time of day, carrier, cleanliness of container, and also to whether staining might be confused or construed as/with damage. I have used it on my roses with no noticeable fall out. (Further apologies for getting off subject)

All understood, Jackie, which is why I asked him what else had been used in that sprayer prior to the Spinosad. He reported it had only been used with Spinosad since purchase and none of his other roses spotted from the spray. Perhaps due to the immaturity of the CS plants, or perhaps they were drier or something, it spotted? I dunno. But, since several here grow the rose, it seems like a good place to ask the question. As I stated on the GW post, I’ve never seen any adverse effects from using it.