Caninas for hip production?

It appears a number of caninas have been cultivated in particular for the production of rose hips. There are Piro3 roses as well as a variety of Russian cultivars with VNIVI in the name. I’ve also heard of programs in Sweden for hip producing roses.

I’d love to get some of these to play with hybridization for hip production but I can’t find any sellers in the US. Anyone know where I could lay my hands on some of these?

1 Like

Welcome, Zach! I hope you’re able to find the Caninas you seek!

Hello Zach, is this for the purpose of harvesting for making food/drink products? Also, welcome!

Eventually, yes, I’d like to work on roses that are good for jam, tea, possibly raw consumption. Mostly I just want to play with hips that are tasty, large, and/or interesting. I’m currently trying to get together a few dozen cultivars so I can start hybridizing, and it seems that a lot of the more interesting varieties come from those countries where rose hips are more often on the menu, e.g. Germany, Sweden, Russia, Norway. This year I’m mostly getting rugosas that reportedly have large/tasty hips, but I’d like to bring in a variety of caninas next.

(thanks also for the welcomes! I’m normally a book writer but am taking up roses as a hobby, as well as something to do with kids)

1 Like

Zach, this may be something of interest to you. 'Sweet Hips' Rose

That’s the first one I put in the garden :slight_smile: My planned additions for this year are these, all of which are reported to have reasonably tasty and very large hips:

Fru Dagmar Hastrup
Rosa Alba
Rosa Scabrosa
Rosa Rubra
Rosa Hansa
Blanc Double de Coubert
FJ Grootendorst
Jubilee

Hoping to add caninas, chestnuts, and some of those weird roses with black hips over time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep us posted on the tastiest hips!

Rosa rubiginosa (R. eglanteria) is also considered to produce excellent-tasting hips, and in addition, you can enjoy the wonderfully scented foliage in the garden.

Unfortunately, there seems to be little if any selected material of R. canina available commercially in the U.S. There are few commercial sources for the species overall, even though it has escaped from cultivation in some areas, and what is most available may or may not have low genetic diversity. Depending on your goals and your patience level, if you’re looking for diversity and are willing to discuss your purpose for requesting them, as a second option you could try requesting some seed of known wild provenance that is available from USDA’s GRIN Global system:

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomydetail?id=5309

There are also seeds available presently from Sheffield’s Seeds that were supposedly collected in Hungary, if you would rather try a simpler transactional route first:

Maybe the genetic diversity available with these would allow you to advance your goals even without starting from pre-selected stock. I have a feeling that some of the improved varieties selected in Europe and Russia might never make it to the U.S., where rose hips are usually just found as minor additives in herbal teas and dietary supplements, so it would be difficult for most folks to justify the cost of importing elite fruiting cultivars. At least you won’t have to worry about any of your own selections competing directly with them here!

Stefan

Just my opinion, but I was quite disappointed with the GRIN system. I recently wrote a request proposal for cuttings of a type of heirloom grape that was grown in Switzerland County, Indiana in the early 19th century. This was a very early wine producing area, and it was for a local living history museum. Seems like a shoe-in, right? The request was denied with no explanation, and no notification of the denial. You just had to check back routinely to find out the status.

Lee, I’m sorry to hear that there was no notification or explanation; it may be that the distribution policy prioritizing material for certain purposes like research and breeding was the cause. Depending on the system’s setup, it could even be that something in the request caused it to be filtered out before reaching a human being. You might be able to reach out to the curator to request more information.

It may also be worth noting that the various National Plant Germplasm System collections around the U.S. have different curators who each handle such requests differently.