Canadian Hybridizers

In the continuing work on the database Canadian Hybrid Roses I have one puzzle. I have not been able to hear of any Canadian Hybridizers in the provinces east of Quebec, and few in Quebec other that those based in Agriculture Canada. As this database is a compilation of information obtained from a number of sources I am missing something.

Can anyone help to enable this database to be as complete as possible?

David,

You haven’t heard of any Canadian amateur rose hybridizers in the Maritime provinces because there never has been any. Or at least any that developed roses that were registered or became available in the nursery trade. I know, it’s a mystery. Quebec has also had a poor record in this respect.

I don’t know if this is a possabilty but is the climate really different there? This could explain why there really are no successful plant coming from here. Or maybe it is just a fluke.

Climate was not likely a factor. No climate in Canada (other than the Arctic) is tougher than the Canadian Prairies. Yet many rose cultivars have been developed in this region by amateur breeders. It’s just one of those things there is no explanation for.

The only one I can find doing a quick search is James Simpson from New Brunswick.

The answer may be partly sociological.

The central and western parts of Canada were settled largely by British expatriates from America beginning before the Revolutionary War. Thus they were settled longer and started out with some degree of wealth. Later immigrants were often from the Scandanavian countries and came in well financed family groups.

Nova Scotia, Quebec and New Brunswick settlement was dominated by immigration of economic refugees from Europe, particularly Ireland, France and Scotland. The great unwashed were far more interested in subsistance farming than horticulture.

I think, also, that you cannot discount the effect of climate too much. You might want to compare the number of hybridizers per capita with on both sides of the border.

Thanks to Adam Eckstein I have found James Simpson who hybridized ‘Violet Simpson’ prior to 1928 it was introduced in the United Kingdom by Laxton Bros. Ltd.and in the United States by Howard & Smith. in 1928.

We will inquire further.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

It was all very interesting to read.

Sorry, I have very little time for any more comments etc. as my wife just passed away on April 7th after 7 years of battle with bone cancer. Many of you know of my ‘Ingrid’ rose named after my wife.

George Mander

Ps.

My son (my webmaster) is working on a Eulogy/Memorial for my wife Ingrid which will be on his website soon and also on my site thereafter. Her ashes will be going to the BIG Island of Hawaii, her favorate place in the world.

Link: www3.telus.net/georgemander/

George, sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

I have enjoyed and benefited from your your web page. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Henry Kuska

George,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It must be a difficult time for you.

If you must know, I grow Ingrid in my garden. I bought it this last September and it is starting to put good growth. It seems to be a nice rose.

I hope that this is some comfort to you to know that while your wife is not here, but her name and memory is still very alive in my garden and even in my heart.

I am sorry for your loss. I’m heartened by her knowing she had a good man beside her through the hard times and that he so loved her as to share her name with a very good rose.

May you have a peaceful spring.

Hi George,

I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. You spent several years being her main caregiver and had to put aside much of your rose breeding efforts to do so. I hope you can get back to devoting your time to rose breeding like you used to. You’ve made many fine contri-butions to the development of Miniature roses, and there’s no reason now why you can’t continue to do so. Hope to see you later this year.

Paul

George, Mitchie and I are sorry to hear of this news. We did enjoy the time that we spent when we met Ingrid at your home.I do remember talking to her about her collection of gem rocks and looking at the beautiful things she made of them. Please accept our deepest sympathy.

I have enjoyed and benefited from your postings here on this forum, and the other online forums as well. I hope that you continue with your hybridizing efforts and that you have much success in the coming years.

John

Thank you from George for your condolences !

To Henry, Enrique, Ann, Paul and John Moe.

John, I tried to call you a dozen times in the last week, day or evenings and all I got was your answering machine.

I am so busy with all the arrangements for Ingrid’s Memorial Service and then off to Hawaii in June to take her ashes to her chosen place at the BIG island. When I came back end of June a 6 weeks trip to Europe. Will try you again John.

George

Paul, you may have him already but I found a Gilles Gailloux who bred roses in Longueuil, Quebec according to the RHA newsletter Summer, 1982.

Link: helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=7.6610&tab=2

Don,

Yes, I know about Gilles Gailloux. He was breeding roses in the 1970’s and 80’s, and was very enthusiastic about it. He corresponded with Percy Wright and I also had a brief correspondence with him. Then he suddenly dropped out of sight and didn’t reappear to continue to breed roses. It’s a mystery what happened to him. I saw several of his rose selections at the Montreal Botanical Gardens in the late 1980’s. They seemed to be mostly Floribundas.