Buff Beauty?

Has anyone tried to use Buff Beauty in a breeding program? How did it for you? Better for a seed or pollen parent?

I’m very much into yellows and apricots but there aren’t many that do well no-spray in Maryland. In addition to Buff Beauty I have Crepuscule, which is touted to be extremely pollen fertile but I haven’t been able to use it yet. It made it through the winter and is bouncing back nicely so I hope I catch enough blooms this summer to gather some pollen and finally make my first attempt at serious hand pollination.

I keep wanting to get Arethusa too, but I keep killing the bands I purchase, but I want it badly so I’ll order it again.

If anybody knows any healthy yellow/apricots that might do well in Maryland no-spray and be valuable in a breeding program?

• Max

\

Tequila aka MEIpomolo or Tequila La Sevillana

Arethusa sets seed easily, is self fertile & the seeds germinate well.

Hi Max,

Those Easy Elegance yellows- Yellow Submarine, Yellow Brick Road, and Centennial are very blackspot resistant so far. They look great in MN, TN, and elsewhere.

http://eppserver.ag.utk.edu/personnel/WindhamM/2007%20Rose%20Handout.pdf

Hopefully they’ll stand up to the races of blackspot you have as well.

Sincerely,

David

Hello Max E:

My daughter bought a yellow “Morning has Broken” from Heirloom – it is the poster child of their hybridizing program. As I recall they described it as one of the six most disease resistant roses in the world – and that when two of its immediate neighbors in the test garden were defoliated with blackspot, it had none! Our wish list for next year has Carefree Sunrise which also comes in a climbing form – we always prefer climbers. Maybe someone out there can tell you if Carefree Sunrise is as good as they say it is.

Regards, Bob Zone 9 in New Olreans, the blackspot capital of America.

Yeah, I agree with Pierre on Tequila. Also, Buff Beauty can even mildew here, which is a rare thing. Even though Teuila fades some, it blooms from June to October non-stop. Also, it germinates well for me. My notes say that Tequila x Tatton are germinating well.

Carefree Sunshine is as good as they say, at least in my area (Philadelphia). Carefree Sunshine is perfectly blackspot resistant. I have never seen a spot of anything on it except for a touch of mildew in the fall.

It is also quite fertile with tons of pollen, good seed set and excellent germination. It drops its pollen very early making it challenging to cross pollinate and I have not had good luck with it passing on its health, but I think it has a lot of potential.

Bob, is Morning Has Broken fertile? How does the color hold up in the South? Any fragrance?

Shane

Bob

I must warn you: “we always prefer climbers”.

I did it and do no longer!

Most climber seedlings flower the second year and when large enough they need ample space. So much that most breeders avoid them at least when not deliberately breeding climbers or when no other way is possible.

I must not be most breeders then :slight_smile: I was so thrilled to get a climbing “keeper” from Orange Velvet x Hot Cocoa last year :slight_smile: I still cant wait to see it again this year, lol.

I’ve used Buff Beauty some and found it generates offspring that generally fad badly and/or are very dwarf plants with no vigor. I gave up on it several years ago.

Arthur Bell is in the background of many good yellows and does quite well for me.

Paul

And yes, Crepuscule is highly pollen fertile and delivers some good color to its progeny. I am still using it in my work and I currently have a beautiful yellow/egg yolk colored Polyantha bred from it which I anticipate releasing in the future.

I’ve used Crepescule for pollen too. I’ve found some offspring hang onto their petals too long.

I’ve gone away from it as I look for something more resistant to Powdery Mildew.

Although some blossoms have confused reproductive parts, ‘Roberta Bondar’ will set hips. I have yet to raise any seedlings but this could be the pollen parents I was attempting.

Any guess as to the ploidy of Crespecule? I would have assumed it was diploid but it seems to act like a tetraploid as pollen parent.

Crepuscule gets Mildew??? Wow.

No idea about its Ploidy, Robert. What makes you think it “acts like a tetraploid”? Just curious.

Yes, Crepescule can mildew badly here. Powdery Mildew is basically the only real disease problem I can test for.

Apparently our conditions here are extremely favorable for PM certain times of the year with warm days cool nights and unusually high transpiration rates due to low humidity and wind conditions.

As for my statement regarding ploidy, I’ve used all sorts of pollens on my fertile triploid banksia hybrid, ‘Riverbanks’.

I’ve found Riverbanks will set seed with most diploids, but these seedlings tend to be less vigorous, leading me to believe these offspring are mostly triploid.

Riverbanks x tetraploids tend to be mostly of normal vigor.

There are no vigor problems in Riverbanks x Crepescule. It could be coincidence or that Crespescule gives more than commonly vigorous offspring, but it seems to behave like a tetraploid in terms of fertility. It’s just a seat of the pants observation.

I’ve always assumed Crespuscule comes out of Reve D’or with perhaps some Noisette influence?

Perhaps David Zlesak will enlighten us?

Shane Greenburg:

Thanks for Carefree Sunshine info. Will purchase with more confidence.

I e-mailed your Morning Has Broken Question to my daughter Adair and here is her response:

“I don’t recall the fragrance, but the color is the most intense golden yellow I’ve seen on a rose, and it holds up spectacularly in the heat.” This is coming to you from South Louisiana – I am in New Orleans (zone 9)and my daughter is in Alexandria just a little further north in zone 8b, but it gets very hot there very quickly. All our plants are new this spring as we just jumped in with both feet, so other than my one huge Mermaid rose I can’t tell you much about pollen or seed potential of any of our roses other than what I have learned from others on the internet.

Do you have any other blackspot free recommendations – it is the plague down here – the heat kills the mildew, so we may get a touch occasionally, but it cures itself.

Bob

Pierre Rutten:

My daughter and I are incurable climber lovers and impractical hybridizers. As she is just setting up her rose garden and has a corner lot with a very long fence line to use as a trellis, she has more than the ususal amount of room for climbers on an urban lot. She has a long walkway from the gate to her porch and I am already talking to the ironworks to design and build her a wonderful arbor to run the length of it - when that’s exhausted she can grow them up between the pillars along her wrap around porch – and after that she says she will throw up trellises all over the yard. And I have found a friend who is giving me the use of an extra lot next to his home in which he has already built the beds which stand empty waiting for my roses. So the cure is stiil a long way off for us.

Addicted to climbers – Bob

Shane Greenburg:

As a follow up I just checked the Heirloom web site for Morning Has Broken and they describe it as very fragrant.

Bob

Be careful: Heirloom tends to exaggerate :slight_smile:

Jadae:

You can’t be serious. A rose vendor that exaggerates – never heard of such a thing. :slight_smile:

Bob

Thanks for the responses! I work at a nursery and I think I’ve seen Carefre Sunshine but wasn’t too impressed by the flowers, I’ll have to take a second look. And I plan on to really try hard to catch some Crepuscule pollen. I’m very bad at catching the right stage for collecting, it’s when the bud is just about to open or is in the process of opening, correct?

I can’t wait, I need an Arethusa again then…I’ll shop around see who has it in stock…