breeding goals and marketing

Pierre Lauwers wrote:

Here you point to breeding goals and marketing.

Actually there are four main roses markets.

One is roses breed for the cut flower market. Needing most sophisticated bud, long stem and longer lasting flowers with year long abundant yelds. Less thorns is a recent goal.

Another market is potted miniature. Anew bred for beautifull bud and lasting (at store) year round easily grown compact product.

There are the roses for public plantings either shrubs or ground covers with color and low maintenance as first argument.

And garden roses be they single miniature or full large flowered climbers. Here priority is beautifull flower catalog picture and/or perfume. Garden performance is a plus.

All these market niches overlap or are in between as showroses that include some cut-roses and garden roses.

There is another snell growing

Hello Mr Rutten,

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes the grafting will be more and more questionned!

In Belgium very few varieties hold 90% of the market,and experienced gardeners do not trust new varieties.

And this because roses grown in France, Netherlands and England are often grafted on stocks that do not well in Belgium.

In a time when little nurseries did their own graftings, R.Canina alone was used in Belgium. Old nurserymen told me “it is the only one that last”.

From my experience I know R.Rubiginosa gives even better results, particularly with Shrub roses.In France, however,it is despised as suckering-prone.

Ideally, the stock should be choosed individually, according to the variety, the soil, the climate…Impossible to manage for big nurseries selling abroad.

I have some roses from the U.S., own-rooted, that do extremely well. Vintage gardens sells 3200 varieties, all own-rooted.Thus it’s possible, but with a slower production and waiting-lists.

This american know-how should be given a try in Europe.

I would accept to pay more for say own-rooted Hybrid Perpetuals and Portlands. (Wich are not easy to impossible to multiply by cuttings)

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.