Bracteata hybrids

One of my (half dozen or so) bracteata hybrid seedlings is blooming now. And it looks like one more is going to bloom this season. All but a couple are growing like crazy this year; after only putting on a modest bit of size for several years. The pollen parent is a rugosa X palustris hybrid.

Link: www.koolpages.com/hybridizer/Rose/bracteata_hybrids.html

Since mine is dead… here’s a nice picture I found of bracteata itself, for comparison. Note the thick/heavy petals and the shape and size of the leaflets.

Link: www.rosarosam.com/roses/species/rosa_bracteata.html

Very interesting! If it proves to be as sterile as we expect, do you think chromosome doubling would be in order? R. Silversii perhaps? I would pay good money for a doubled version

Tom, nice work with Rosa palustris… The rose I am working, may not be R. virginiana as I thought. After finding a picture of the stipules of R. palustris, which very much looks like my rose, and the flowers match a little bit more closer too. And I did think it was R. palustris in the beggining too…

I’ve done crosses of it with R. foliolosa. Hopefully that will turn out something good. The foilage is very lovely, reminds me of bamboo leaves.

Baxter,

Thanks, and you must have read my mind. I do hope to “chromosome double” these couple of seedlings to get something like a Rosa x kordesii. I think they’d then have great combining ability with Hybrid Teas and other types.

As for fragrance, there is some but it’s fairly weak. It’s not the same as the fruity (artificial banana) scent of bracteata, but something similar. There doesn’t seem to be much pollen (not surprising) but I’ve been pollinating with rugosa pollen to try to catch any “stray fertile” ovule. And remember, only one has bloomed so far, so I’m not sure what the other ones will be like yet.

Enrique,

Thanks. I’ve been learning to appreciate the North American species more and more. I used to think of them as NOT very interesting - just a bunch of plain old pink roses . Now that I’ve grown palustris, foliolosa, setigera, woodsii and various local carolina/virginiana; I’ve learned that there is incredible diversity in these roses. I really like the rugosa x palustris F1, even though it doesn’t rebloom. And I’m still hopeful that I’ve got a palustris x moschata F1. It was from pollen of moschata on an already open palustris flower. Several of its sister seedlings have been obvious backcrosses with the rugosa x palustris F1, but one particular seedling has the appearance of being from moschata. It has hooked thorns, smaller flowers, foliage that leans toward moschata, and smaller, very slow-ripening fruits with very small seeds. I had thought that these seeds were aborted and inviable, but several of them have germinated after overwintering outdoors in a pot. I’ve included a link below to my old page about the palustris X moschata, in case you’d like to read more.

Link: www.koolpages.com/hybridizer/Rose/SpeciesHybridTable/palustrisXmoschata.html

Is your palustris thorny, or thornless? If it is thornless, how well does it transfer that trait to seedlings?

Erique, I did a little breeding with an practically thornless R. palustris (only a couple thorns per cane, if that), and the offspring have so far been spectacularly thorny! So in my experience, it doesn’t transfer well – but who knows, maybe smoother canes will show up in the F2.

Joseph

Joe, where did you get yours from? Plucked it out of the wild, or in the nursery? I know lots of people have already seen these pictures, but I’m going to put it up again… so if you’ve seen them, sorry… Recognize this? At first I thought it was palustris, but then I lost the ID, and for some reason I had R. carolina and R. virginiana in my mind. I thought I got it on virginiana, but then I saw pictures of the stipules of virginiana, which are more decorative. This one you can barley see it, and very narrow. So I dropped virginiana, and now I think it is palustris again. Man, will I ever know it’s identity?

Very healthy, impervious to disease and blooms very well in shade. I have pollinated it with R. foliolosa, mixed pollen of Harrison’s Yellow and Forth of July, Tom Thumb, and a seedling of Renae and Sutter’s Gold.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pics.php?itemId=P5441&idx=4:6

Wow, I’ve already have a few paulinations of the probable palustris (the pollen is R. kordesii). Hopefully the rest will not germinate so soon, but I’m really excited with the crosses.

The mixed pollen one hasn’t germinated…

I am not sure why I wrote “paulinations” when I meant “germinations”.

Excuse me…