Blue Rose breakthrough

Anyone know any more about this?

Link: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/05/23/nrose23.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/23/ixnewstop.html

Sounds interesting, but all I can think of is that the LAST time someone posted a link to a site about new genetically engineered blue roses, it turned out to be one of the most brilliant April Fool’s jokes ever! But we are safely past April first, and I doubt the Telegraph is making things up, so I guess we can trust this one to be for real. But I’ll still believe it when I see it – the last real attempt to genetically engineer a blue rose I heard about turned out to be brown due to the rose having a different pH in the cells than the plant from which the blue pigment was taken. But, it will be fun to see what happens! I’ll certainly try growing them if the do come on the market, just to see what it looks like.

Joseph Tychonievich

That’s what I thought about Joe! This does sound a bit more real. I wonder what the details are?

I seem to remember reading something about this liver enzyme work before.

They had successfully incorporated the enzyme into a rose but couldn

Related links:

Link: abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTech/Living/rose_blue_040507-2.html

Link: www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?article_id=218392236&language=english

Link: ipm.osu.edu/trans/112_251.htm

Link: www.counterpunch.org/clarke01042003.html

I will not forgive Paul Barden for that trick… ever :-[

A Japanese company has used a different method to create a “blue” rose. They’ve implanting a pansy gene that leads to the synthesis of the blue pigment Delphinidin.

http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/2/2004/06/30/story005.html

Link: www.rednova.com/news/stories/2/2004/06/30/story005.html

Yes, I saw that on CNN this afternoon. Well… maybe within 50 years we may actually see this in our gardens. If they’ve finally got the genes in already…