Blaze and Improved Blaze

Had a question on these two varieties. Is anyone familiar with what improvement the Improved version has on the traditional Blaze?

thanks JD

I believe it is that Improved Blaze is reblooming whereas the original was once-blooming. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong. I have a 5 year old Improved Blaze and this is the first year it has done diddly for rebloom. I’m not impressed.

“Improved rebloom” is basically it. Maybe a wee bit better mildew resistance but that’s not saying much. If you want my honest opinion (which isnt very positive), I’d advise dumping either cultivar and grwoing something superior (Sympathie comes to mind in terms of rugged red climbers).

Back in the 1950s when I was a kid in Lubbock, TX, Blaze (or Improved Blaze–both were available, and both were widely planted) always made an absolutely spectacular show right around Mother’s Day.

Here in Charleston, WV, after we had lows of -17 and -19 in January of 1994, Blaze did its thing just as I remembered it from 40 years before. For reference, I will note that Mary Rose, Madame Isaac Pereire, and many other varieties froze to the snowline. I don’t know how hardy Sympathie is.

Is Sympathie as profuse as Blaze?

The clusters are smaller and the flowers are larger but it repeats steadily. It is possibly hardier since it is half kordesii. I has less thorns and is very disease resistant. Plus it is a true red and not carmine red. vigor is about equal.

I will give BI credit for hardiness. Mine is grown with no winter protection (I’m in zone 5B). Granted, it’s close to the house, which does give it some advantage over the others out in the yard. However, even those canes which are growing above the trellis and onto the roof take little damage aside from the tips. It’s a vigorous grower-- as I said, mine has grown onto the roof of our house. On the down side, it blackspots all too easily. If I don’t spray enough, mine quickly becomes totally naked.