Biltmore International Rose Trials

Kim Rupert suggested I post this here and Larry has given me permission to do so.

As you may, or may not know, we have started an International Rose Trials at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. The first round is already planted and we are accpeting entries for 2012. If you are not familiar with International Trials they are free to enter, open to everyone and are entered by the rose breeder - not just rose nurseries like the AARS.

We have tweaked a few things to hopefully make them more accessible to everyone. First we can take plants from one gallon size on up. They can arrive as soon as Jan 15th on the estate (planting is mid-may) and the staff will pot them up and grow them on in cold frames to make sure they are on equal footing with bareroot plants. I know it’s hard for many rose breeders to have bareroot plants availabe but I think many can handle one gallon. And they can be own-root.

We have an open class. Most trials stick to the few major classes but I know many are breeding other classes hence the open group.

Winners (or just great roses) can potentially become part of the Biltmore Garden Rose Collection which will be marketed and sold on a nationwide basis. Royalties paid, names trademarked etc. This is NOT a requirement of entering the trial. If you don’t want to go that route that is your right as you retain total control of your creations.

I’ve posted the invite and two PDFs on a hidden page of my website. Pop over and have a look. If you have questions I’m now at paul@paulzimmermanroses.com.

Thanks and I hope some of you will consider entering.

Paul

Link: paulzimmermanroses.com/?page_id=1071

Biltmore rose garden is very nice, with many old and unusual vars.