Best of 2008 Hulthemia Seedlings

Well, this is one of the last of the new 2008 seedlings to bloom. It first bloomed last Friday 6-27-08 (this photo was taken yesterday 7-1-08). This was after some very hot weather, up to 110. As I have mentioned in other posts, the blotch tends to lighten considerably in the heat, so this one seems to be exhibiting good heat stability. Also, since the first stem has produced four flower buds, I am hopeful that it will have good flower power.

If it behaves like other hulthemias, the blotch will be quite a bit larger when the seedling matures.

Jim Sproul

Nice!

Jim, you are really making some amazing strides. Do you have a page showing all of your Hulthemias and evaluations on one site?

Quite the striking seedling.

Very attractive bloom Jim.

Rob

Nice! What I was wondering Jim, do you try to get the yellow back in further breeding?

The anther colors!

One of the things I’ve always loved about Golden Wings is that when the petals drop, what’s left has a lovely array of colors.

Jim’s photo shows a similar (albeit different colored) lovely after drop coloration on this one.

Congratulations Jim:

Being from the hot end of zone 9 I can really relate to what you say about this rose standing up to the heat. Bodes well for the future. If I saw it at a nursery I would buy it!

Bob of New Orleans

Philip:

Will be back in town next week. Lets get together soon. Bob

Thanks for the comments on this one!

Philip, I have started a page to show some of the better ones by generations from H. persica on a page showing just the petals of various seedlings http://www.sproulrosesbydesign.com/HulthemiaGenerationsPetals.htm . I will probably show a combination of blooms and petals in the future on that page.

Timo, yes, I would like to get the original yellow and red combination of the hulthemias into a nice repeating form. My H65-2 (a non-repeat bloomer that has those colors) has produced some repeat blooming seedlings this year that have a hint of yellow. I have crossed two of these together this year in hopes of getting a good repeat blooming yellow. I do have another yellow that repeats (see below), but the blotch is not as well defined as I would like and it fades quite a bit in the heat.

Jim Sproul

Link: www.sproulrosesbydesign.com/HulthemiaGenerationsPetals.htm