Bengale Ducher / Ducher Experience

Has anyone experienced this rose? From what I have read it does fairly well in many different climates - according to the HMF database. I would be interested in hearing if someone has grown and or crossed with this rose.

Thanks in advance,

Steve,

I have had Ducher for several years and I must say it is a real trouper. I have a problem with cedar elm trees which have strangled most of my roses, Ducher is one of the few which is still in the ground. Ducher has also survived the hot dry summer of 2011. It does produce a good bit of pollen. I have decided this year to use it in some crosses and so far have crossed it with Perle des Jardin, Shockwave, Alexander and Dame d’ Coeur. I have used the pollen on Perle des Jardin and Dame d’ Coeur. We will see if any hips form.

Steve,

We used Ducher several years ago, but right now I can’t find my records to let you know how well it worked for us…

We do have a few progeny that we still use from the outcome of the crosses. One in particular that we use a lot is a Ducher x R. wichuraiana-thornless cross. It’s a once bloomer, it has no thorns on the stems but it does have thorns on the back of the leaves. We call it a ground cover, but it get’s quite large if not pruned aggressively.

We also have a few OP progeny from this cross that are everblooming that we use extensively.

Joan,

Be aware that Dame d’Coeur suffers from blackspot in our area!

Ducher was a real mildew problem here, while Dame d’Coeur was rather healthy.

Joan took the words out of my mouth. (I was going to respond with “real trooper”.) If you have room, I think it may be worth having if only as a landscape plant in its own right.

I have not bred with mine; it hasn’t really offered anything I’m currently looking for. I have assumed I would find typical china issues – twiggy growth, blooms often hidden within the shrub, mediocre cold hardiness – in it’s offspring, but I certainly haven’t ruled it out. Some of the deeper red, dark-foliaged chinas I do plan to use this spring with some species crosses.

Kim’s climate is more mildew-prone, but with a little rainfall and warmer weather, mildew is not much of an issue here. Ducher is not entirely immune to blackspot, however. (But then, what is? Banksia is the only one for me.)

With some whites, you may find they don’t provide a “blank canvas” so much as a “color eraser” if you are interested in working with colored blooms.

Hey, there’s a name for you, Philip! “Stain Eraser”!

My wife might debate the merits of that one, but I’m assuming you meant for a rose I might breed, and not me personally…

Philip,

Do you mean they hide the color potentials in 1st generation offspring which still carry the potential for color further on down.

In poultry, dominant whites offspring will be all whites when when crossed amongs themselves, for example have the potential to produce other colors.

Jim

Thanks for the local perspective Phillip. I have no room for a shrub in my stable but will try it out in the yard and dabble with it. Hard to pass up especially with the multiple favorable reviews on HMF from Mississippi to France + this board.

Good luck with your crosses Joan - thank you for the great feedback.