Basye's Purple as a parent

Has anyone used Basye’s Purple as a parent? It kind of looks like it’s a diploid and not an amphidiploid. Does anyone know? It sure is beautiful indeed! I got some pollen from a friend yesterday and am wondering what ploidy and types of parents to try to cross this limited pollen with. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,

David

I’ve just gotten Basye’s Purple and haven’t tried to cross it with anything yet. I’m assuming it’s diploid. Basye’s Purple’s parents are given as R. rugosa and R. foliolosa, which are both diploid. I haven’t seen anything that suggests that Basye’s Purple is an amphidiploid. Basye created at least three amphidiploids:

1. ‘Basye’s Amphidiploid’ a.k.a. ‘The Probable Amphidiploid’, an amphidiploid of R. abyssinica (R. moschata abyssinica) and R. rugosa

2. 86-3, an amphidiploid of R. banksiae and R. laevigata.

3. 86-7, an amphidiploid of R. wichuriana and R. rugosa rubra.

The latter two are pictured on this page:

Link: aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/rose/ramfig.htm

I a few years ago, I read a paper that R. foliolosa may not even be its parent. I forgot whom posted it, but it was somebody from this fourm I think.

I got a few OP seeds last winter and have a few seedlings from them. For the most part they are very vigorous and healthy. Some of them have deep purple stems which look really cool. There is quite a bit of variation between the seedlings from quite rugose and thorny to very little rugosa influence.

None have bloomed yet.

Sorry, I can’t offer any opinion on their ploidy.

Randy

Because I’ve got Basye’s Purple in bloom and some interesting 2n ladies I’d like to introduce the pollen to.

And a few potential suitors as well.

My Basye’s Purple has started to bloom as well. It is an incredible color. I harvested the pollen, and am going to try to cross it one of the few 2n parents I have and to a 4n parent as well.

We should get back and report later.

In my opinion BP is diploid as I got a (single) fully fertile seedling from diploid pollen when testing it as female parent. Pollen gave me ample fertile diploid progeny.

Basye’s Purple has wonderfull and unique color.

As seen it here I dislike the rather leggy plant not well clothed by short lived leaves that for all and every reasons blacken as if spotted.

Many foliolosa x rugosa F1 or further derived seedlings have this dark flower-leggy plant-oversensitive foliage combination that I would like to overcome.

Is 86-3, (banksiae x laevigata amphidiploid) known to be available and where?

I got hips from using Basye’s Purple as the pollen parent on Gypsy Boy and Pink Meidiland. I also obtained some OP hips from Basye’s Purple. Hope this helps David.

Pierre,

“Many foliolosa x rugosa F1 or further derived seedlings have this dark flower-leggy plant-oversensitive foliage combination that I would like to overcome.”

You should try to put a hand on ‘Ann Endt’, it has a very healthy foliage and is not as leggy as other crosses.

Jocelen

I have never seen Ann Endt available in Europe. I would like to get some dry hips to sow come spring.

Here we have a non registered rose named “Rote Hannover” that is obviously a rugosa hybrid an eventually Ann Endt renamed. A personal guess. The other parent is either foliolosa or another species with narrower smaller smoother leaf.

It is strong carmine to cerise and a well mannered plant being fuller, lower and well foliaged but far from as dark as BP. Very fertile also.

I have raised a few hundreds dark purple BP derived or foliolosa x rugosa F1 or further derived seedlings of mine and allways there is a strong linkage between darkest purple flower and leggy plant red stems oversensitive foliage.

Maurice de Vilmorin worked on foliolosa x rugosa hybrids around 1894.

I think Ann Endt is in fact a renamed rose from ‘Europe’…

Very cool Thread here!

These days I got a plant of Basyes Purple too & what I read here is amazing.

Perhaps it should be possible to get fertile seedlings from Hips on that plant?

Well yesterday I pollinated it with Kiftsgate, - perhaps more than a joke if the info is right, that it is able to set hips.

I read that this isn’t the case, but if you got hips, it is.

I got hips of Stanwell Perpetual as well - allthough this is impossible.

Ugh! Lets do the Twist!

I also thought about the dark spots and there are several possible solutions.

It may be a concentration, a irridation, just like those dark spots on your skin, initialized by too much sun in summer.

Or it is really a disease symptom. Then I would think about a resistancy reaction that stops black spot in its spreading action.

Again comparin Stanwell Perpetual: it also has such spots, from time to time … .

Don’t know the reason there either. …

But it seems, as it doesn’t matter anyhow.

Greetings from Germany,

Arno