Banksia Californica Kordesii

This is the only seedling of this cross to survive. I like it more all the time. Temps in my propagation area reached 111 degrees here today. The petals did not scorch.

The pollen parent is also quite heat resistant.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=50067

Ooooo very nice. 111 and still has a bloom like that is very impressive.

Yes, I’m impressed. 111 is WARM. To top it off it’s nearly smooth! The prickle free character of the banksia ancestor is coming out now and again in descendants.

Scent is light. I really lucked out with petal count since the seed parent is barely double and the pollen parent is single.

No disease, but I should say no powdery mildew, yet. It’s branching nicely.

I hope it’s fertile. I’ll start melding this with some of my Home Run offspring next season. I want to create a disease resistant mauve.

There is just a hint of mauve in the pink here going back to Lilac Charm.

That really is beautiful Robert, You really have it going on. Congrats.

Patarick

Thanks, but you should see the stuff I’m throwing out, and of course, there are no guarantees with this stuff.

I wish someone had explained the disease problems inherent in Dortmund before I got started with it.

Very nice Robert! Perhaps its the “cool” color that allows it to endure the heat!

Jim Sproul

There something in Dortmund that allows the petals in these seedlings to endure high temperatures. I noted it awhile back.

Many of them don’t wish to shed their petals however which as you know is problematic.

Impressive rose, I like the color and the heat tolerance of course. Since many HT rosarians regularly deadhead anyway, that would be the form I would move this towards. Maybe with Stephen’s Big Purple or Buxom Beauty. My 2 cents.

Charles, ‘Stephen’s Big Purple’ is exactly what I had in mind.

We think alike!

I haven’t tried ‘Buxom Beauty’. I’ve had mixed reviews from those who grow it. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks, Robert

I believe the petal issue is due to the orange-red roses Kordes used in his kordesii hybrids. The older roses of this hue up to the 70’s had this trait en masse. Dortmund, Rosarium Utersen and Sympathie have all done this to me. And yes, I do believe R.U. has orange-red in it. Im guess 1/4. It would explain the insanely huge clusters, the mildew in random seedlings (just like other kordesii hybrids from that era) and the weird color of the individual petals from start to finish.

I have one nice Renaissance x Rosarium Utersen seedling now. It is a climber so it wont bloom for a while. But when it does, I’ll try to remember to see if the petals hang on for you.

I haven’t tried ‘Buxom Beauty’ aka ‘Parole’ yet, but it’s calling to me. Large flowered, fragrant, purplish, high centered, award winning, nearly disease free (according to Kordes, so it likely is). All that in one plant is hard to come by. It’s fertility is unknown to me, but even if limited, it’s likely worth trying.

It’s nice having others working on hot weather plants, I’ve learned a lot by reading your posts.

Link: www.kordes-rosen.com/englisch/garten/sorte.asp?SortenID=163

What were the negatives you heard about, it might save me from some aggravation.

Some descendants of ‘Dortmund’ are neither as Blackspot nor powdery mildew resistant as one would assume considering they are descended from R. kordesii.

Sadly the pollen parent of this seedling has gorgeous foliage and was clean for the first four years I had it, then it mildewed very badly.