'Ballerina' ploidy?

Does anyone know for sure what the ploidy of ‘Ballerina’ is? I have seen it listed as a diploid. In crosses of it with modern roses, I have noticed a poorer germination rate and increased seedling mortality.

I have some hybrids of it with tetraploid roses and have some seedlings that I like. Two of these produced open-pollinated (OP) seeds and I have had some germination (though not much).

So, if ‘Ballerina’ is diploid, then the hybrids would be triploid and OP seedlings (of the triploids) would more likely be diploid or tetraploid???

Jim

Jim,

I don’t remember where, but I think I’ve read that it is a triploid that swings both ways. Take a look at its descendants (by generation) on HelpMeFind.com, and you’ll see what I mean. Crosses with tetraploids are present (Sally Holmes, for example) as are crosses with diploids. And I’d bet you could even cross it with other triploids such as New Dawn. A very useful rose with some outstanding offspring, most of which are fertile.

Jim,

I don’t remember where, but I think I’ve read that it is a triploid that swings both ways. Take a look at its descendants (by generation) on HelpMeFind.com, and you’ll see what I mean. Crosses with tetraploids are present (Sally Holmes, for example) as are crosses with diploids. And I’d bet you could even cross it with other triploids such as New Dawn. A very useful rose with some outstanding offspring, most of which are fertile.