Aunt Honey, anyone using it??

My Aunt Honey bush is now 3 years old and is looking very good. I am thinking about using it in crosses this year, but have had no luck using it as a seed parent, no germination with a limited amount of seed. I looked it up on HMF, and there are no descendants listed. Has anyone out there tried it in crosses?

Liz

I was tempted to try it. Nice to know more about it. I don’t need another pollen parent.

To be fair, I would not judge Aunt Honey as a seed parent solely on my experience.

I’m looking for any excuse not to acquire another rose of any kind.

I’m already thinking about removing some additional landscaping and I’ve never had lawn here. lol

I got several hips from two different pollen parents and I collected an OP hip from it last year. I didn’t get a single seedling from them. I didn’t have very good germination from any of my seeds this year though. Last summer was the first year I had it and it was very clean for me, so I’ll likely try it as a pollen parent for sure and maybe as a seed parent again also.

I have had some seedlings from Aunt Honey I think. I know I had a ton of hip on it but very few seedlings. I cant remember how much pollen it produced either. I dont think it produced much at all.

It is one of my more liked Buck roses.

Liz

I used Aunt Honey for several years in the past and although it’s seed germination rate is low I did manage to get some good results from it along with many many throw-aways. Just took lots of pollinations. It is somewhat particular as to what pollen it accepts. (Aicha happens to work well.)

I’m not sure where you’re located but here in NH I found Aunt Honey to be susceptible to BS, and die back below the snow line every winter. There are surely better and more co-operative roses to work with but since you have it, give it a chance. You might want to try mixed pollen just as a shotgun approach.

Followup to something John J mentioned.

For some reason, I have had numerous reports of many Buck roses doing poorly in the North East. Results much worse than I would expect given how I have seen them perform in Iowa and Minnesota.

Its one of those odd things. I guess it should not surprise me that there are climates that trouble some Buck roses. I think the selection criteria was, whatever survived with little care in Ames Iowa.

Ames is capable of some fairly cold weather and high humidity in the summer.

Hi Steven – also remember relativity. Buck roses are from the 70s/80s mostly, so the bar has been raised over time. However, I feel many of them still hold important elements of contribution.