Attempting germination of rose achene/seed/embryo by continuous water soaking

I did not delete the image even though it was deleted…no more testing…what I am trying doesn’t work with photobucket… movin on now…LOL!

George if you right click on the broken image above on this page an select (View Image Info), then maximize that screen, You can see the code that is found on this page, The last line of directions for the computer to follow is yours, If you look at that compared to the others you will notice (%3E%3Cbr%20/%3Etesting%20to%20see%20if%20an%20image%20appears%20here,%20or%20not…%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3C/table%3E%3Chr%20noshade%20size=) behind (.jpg) this is what is causing your pictures to come up broken.

I have never used photo bucket but try deleting everything after the .jpg

I have tried posting the image below doing it from here but I do not know if I can do it without being logged on to photo bucket. But I guess we will find out.

Apparently that worked. If that is your image? Sometimes I am not sure when it comes to computers? I swear I have learned everything I know about computers from messing up, pulling out my hair, and starting from scratch over and over again.

Hi Adam.

Thanks for the help.

Take a look at my entry further up titled:

“Posted by George Varden (Zone 10) [email] on Tue, Jul 13, 2010”

In that entry, as you can see, I was able to easily add two pictures in amongst the written commentary, to create a very smooth message with pictures. I used Free Image Hosting.net to do this, using Jim Sproul’s directions on how to do this…it works like a charm, and it is SIMPLE.

However I had tried to replicate this “operation” using Photobucket in the subsequent failed images you picked up, with the failure you can see…I used Photobucket as that is where all my images are placed…by the way yes that is the correct test image I used (which you were able to retrieve).

So, I am finding it very easy to upload one single Photobucket image onto the end of any written message using the Direct Link Photobucket image code, and insering it into the Photo link window…BUT, the trouble is, (as I stated in an earlier message above), I am unable to work out a Photobucket image code configuration which allows the same thing to be done as I did with the Free Image Hosting.net example I gave.

That is, I am unable so far to work out how to use Photobucket image codes, to then plonk them directly in between words on a message, and get multiple word/image combinations happening in a message, as opposed to one picture only at the end of a message…I hope I am making sense…LOL

You are making sense. I don’t know how to do that however.

Ok, thanks Adam.

I have sent an email request to Photobucket support, for their solution to this impass.

I’ll let ya’all know what they advise, (for those of you who also use Photobucket and are intereted this sorta thing).

For anyone who stumbles upon this latest topic here of how to add multiple Photobucket images into the body of an RHS message, please refer to the link below, which will direct you to Jim Sproul’s fab solution!

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=29399#29419

In the above posting, RHS is meant to read RHA!!

Back to my achene germination in water stuff! …

I just found an envelope containing something like 100 or so (I didn’t bother counting this time) very dried R. Multiflora achenes that I had forgotten I had. They had been drying for the last 4 months.

So I am now water soaking them as well.

I want to see if they germinate any faster than the 30 days the fresh ones started at, and also if there is anything else greatly different in fresh vs. dried R. Multiflora achenes in water.

I’ll post any results I get, here on this thread.

George

Will there be any cold period in this trial?

Russ.

Hi Russ.

I didn’t cold stratify the 14 fresh nor the 100+ very dried multiflora achenes, because I read somewhere that multiflora achenes don’t benefit from such treatment.

BTW, that sprouted achene I pictured further up, which had sprouted in 30 days, actually took an additional 10 more days to fully germinate as a seedling after being buried in seed raising mix outdoors (temperatures 46-60F).

Some of the other 13 multiflora achenes which are soaking (of that “fresh” group), are still slowly swelling up in the water, but no more have actually sprouted a rootlet in the water yet. It is amazing to see how these achenes are programmed to germinate very randomly over a considerably wide period of time.

Two weeks ago, I started a third water-soaking experiment with 130+ achenes from an Ebb Tide X Hot Cocoa cross I harvested. These I AM subjecting to a cold stratification in chilled water (they are soaking for 8 weeks in two water-filled baby food jars, in the fridge). I’ll plant these in seed raising mix as soon as this 8 weeks chilled soak is completed. I want to see if they rot or if they germinate! I am very curious about what will happen.

I’ll let ya’all know the results as soon as they are available.

I might post a few pix, just for fun, showing how some of the more promising of the 12 remaining “fresh” water saoked multiflora achenes look tonight…let me check on 'em…

So, to recap, today is day 46 of water soaking these multiflora achenes (these were soaked straight after removal from their ripe hips, no cold stratification).

All of these achenes have been photographed at a very similar distance from the webcam lens, to give you an idea of relative size differences:

This first one looks small in comparison to some of the others:

This one looks more “plump”. I decided to clean off some of the scummy slippery brown surface off the surface of this achene, and this revealed a more grey-colored surface underneath:

And here yet another one that is more plump also with the slippery brown coating removed by gently rubbing it “clean” with a fingernail scrape:

I checked all of these achenes closely with my pocket microscope (X30), and none showed any obvious signs of the sutures starting to cleave at the radical tip ends.

When I think that one from this group is already a seedling, I am getting a bit curious as to whether any more of this group are actually going to sprout??

Maybe all the rest of these 13 are all duds…time will tell…nothing would surprise me…it is fun for me to watch!

…or maybe they are rotting :frowning:

Well… I thought it would be interesting to stop this soak short, as 7 weeks of soaking seemed a good end point given that a couple of weeks had elapsed from the first (and only) germination out of the 14 possibilities.

One achene was lost somewhere/somehow, so the study number is now reduced to 13, from 14!

Here are the remaining 12 achenes, opened up (after ~7 weeks of water soaking, no cold stratification and no drying):

I was easily able to cleave the achenes open along their suture lines, as you can see, using my box-cutter knife, and very little pressure…If anything positive has come out of these water-soaking experiments, it is that water-soaked multiflora achenes can be split along their suture lines very easily, with a box cutter knife and very slight pressure (freshly harvested ones are so difficult to split open, I wouldn’t even bother wasting my time trying this…LOL!!).

In 1,2 and 3, the embryos are lifeless and appear malformed, and resemble curled grubs:

4. Here you can see the testa sack as a black object that is clearly hollowed…I did not bother opening it to see what the embryo looked like (looks totally hollowed):

5. No life:

6. Malformed embryo / “grub-like”

Pictures 7,8,9,10,11,12 also reveal lifeless cases:

Case 13 below shows that in this group of 13 multiflora achenes, one of them was able to survive 30 days of water soaking, and germinate normally:

As to why the remaining 12 did not show life…well I guess this sort of answer would require a parallel number of multiflora achenes to be planted directly, to see if there is any significant difference in germinations.

I’ll now concentrate on my 100+ multiflora achenes that were left to dry for 4 months accidentally, and then submitted to a water soaking. I wonder if the germination rate of ~1/13 will be repeated in that run??

Are you sure those “embryos” aren’t actually really grubs after all?

They’re sure looking like critters to me.

Aha! Could it be this little guy (Megastigmus aculeatus) that I just found by googling?

Link: www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0002063

Hi Tom.

Yes you are correct, and thank you for your discovery!

The series of webcam shots posted above are a whole lot magnified to the real size of what I was dealing with. I did lots of quick achene splittings followed then by multiple photographing to come up with the series of shots that I did, and I did not actually look at the material with my eyes as such…ROFL…it would have been interesting to go back and see whether these grubs were easy to see with the eye…they sure were small!

It is very lucky that I decided to document this with the magnification of the webcam…and even luckier that you were smart enough to interpret the data more correctly.

It is certainly not the first time I have photographed things with the webcam, without really looking at them first carefully with my eyes…only to have photos reveal information that was at first totally missed.

The webcam along with my illumintaed 30X pocket microscope have been really valuable tools for me in the past year of rose achene gremination work!!

Since getting the above rather unexpectedly “poor” results (and not realising I had a grub culprit to blame!) I panicked and over the last hour or so, I opened up all my Ebb Tide X Hot Cocoa achenes (n~130) which had been water-soaking for about 3 weeks in the fridge, in a mad quest to see if they too looked as bad as those seen above…ROFL!!

I can at least happily confirm that 3 weeks of water soaking in the fridge did absolutely no harm to those ET X HC embryos…nearly 100% of them were plump and healthy (there was the very occasional gelatinised embryo, but there was no evidence of rotting, or water damage).

I did these Ebb Tide X Hot Cocoa extractions very quickly and carelessly, just to quickly glean all of them for any signs of embryo rot. As a result, I only ended up with ~30 intact ET X HC embryos tonight, beacuse of this rush…anyway that doesn’t worry me, I am happy to have sacrificed a lot of them to be sure about what is going on with water soaking (at least at the 3 week mark of chilled water-soaking). Gaining and sharing this knowledge here is just as importanat to me as any desire to maximise seedling numbers.

I was not intending to do embryo extractions purely for germinations from now on, but in this instance today, both sets of embryo extractions yielded very valuable information.

Since I now have these 30+ embryos of ET X HC, I will immediately culture them by simply placing them in a glass of water, at room temperature. As soon as any of them decide to grow a small rootlet it will be plucked out of the water and buried shallowly in seed-raising mix.

BTW, I had never grown Hot Cocoa until late last year, and it started to not agree with me as a rose mainly because of the lack of sophistication of its blooms and its excessive thorniness (my opinion only)…Hence my rather casual treatment of this ET X HC cross.

As I stated above, I am continuing the water-soaking experiment invloving the 100+ multiflora achenes that were accidentally dried for 4 months, and I will report the results as soon as they are available.

I had never thought of grubs as a factor that might jeopardise and add a VERY SIGNIFICANT SOURCE OF BIAS in a germination experiment, although I should have thought about this, as not lomg ago I HAD found a grub chewing the root off a day-old seedling, below the soil line.

Tom, again thank for your wonderful detective work here, it has resulted in more knowledge to be gained, and has been a good reminder to keep one’s eyes more OPEN!

Glad I could be of help George. I guess I get so many rose hips and seeds (achenes) with obvious insect holes through them, that it’s one of the first things I would think of. On the bright side, at least they seem to prefer some of the species types here much more than the modern stuff.

Hi Tom.

After what you have noted and discovered for me here, it would now not surprise me if the current ~100 multiflora achenes I have soaking in water have the same grub problem, as they all have come from the one plant (picked 4 months apart in the same season). It looks like grubs affected at least 5 of the 13 achenes I had going in that run/soaking I pictured yesterday, possibly as high as 12/13, it is hard to be sure when the grub is absent but has left its damage behind.

It is also great to know that modern hybrid rose achenes are less prone to this particular scurge!