Anthocyanins in newest foliage

Let me slide in a question about anthocyanins in foliage. Do you recall any references that might talk about anthocyanins being/making a hardier plant or at least giving new foliage a bit more cold weather resistance?

Maybe there is nothing in it but I will eat my hat if the seedling turns out to be a picotee pattern.

Hi Simon,

If a particular pigment is detected in leaves spectroscopically then you at least know that the plant has the biochemical machinery for making it. I think it’s a stretch to assume pigmentation patterns of cotyledons or leaves will predict those of a blossom, but there’s only one way to find out.

Do you recall any references that might talk about anthocyanins being/making a hardier plant or at least giving new foliage a bit more cold weather resistance?

Hi Ann,

I have not seen anything to make me think that cold hardiness correlates with anthocyanins. It’s a good question, maybe Henry, David or Larry would know.

A few ten’s of years ago it was fashionable among plant breeders to select for redder foliage. This trend ended when someone realised that there were no positive links with this feature.

Now that anthocians are known to be antioxidants that could benefit to consumer health there is renewed interest for vegetables at least on the marketing side.