a vote for winter sunset

I was browsing back through messages and found very few referring to the Buck rose “Winter Sunset”. Last fall very late I found it growing on our campus,(K-state, Manhattan, KS) as an unknown apricot with some OP hips that hadn’t gotten pruned off. I germinated some seedlings and almost all of them have a similar apricot color. That’s a bit of a surprise as I had thought that apricot represented a blend of two colors, like yellow and a dash of pink. Fortunately, I found out this spring that the rose is actually Winter Sunset. It has bloomed steadily as a landscape rose, in a bed with evergreens, and daylilies and little maintenance other than people cutting some roses to take inside. It was pruned back to about 2-3 ft in spring, having survived 0 F totally exposed on a raised bed. In our intense sunlight and considerable heat the color transitions from very intense to lighter over a few days. But I’d not call it washed out. So I can see how it was selected to do well in Ames, IA. An earlier post mentioned that it seems very washed out in some climates. Perhaps the pinkness is temperature sensitive, and doesn’t develop well in cool climates. I have seen that in Harison’s yellow. Also there are photosensitive cultivars like Rainbow’s End that are only yellow if not exposed to bright light. That’s just the opposite of what happens with most red roses like Crimson Glory that get deeper red as it gets cooler.

Right now I’m watching the seedlings for disease resistance. Winter Sunset itself shows no sign of disease on campus but it may get something dosed on it along with the other shrubs and grass. Or, being in a wide open area it may dry before mildew or blacksopt has time to get going.

To me this shrub looks really promising as a parent for a steady repeater in the yellow-orange range.

Yeah, Winter Sunset is one that I’d use if I was up there with ya cold folk. It’s main source of color, probably Alexander, seems highly potent in transmitting its color. Alexander, and it’s kin, are something to consider for broadening the range in roses. Alexander is a bit of a beast itself, lol.

WS blossoms didn’t holdup well in my dry desert climate. I realize this shouldn’t be a consideration for most people.

The prickles were vicious enough that I decided not to work with it.

Hey Jadae, are you sure that alexander is in the breeding of winter sunset?

Oh yes Jadae, I see that alexander is also known as alexanrda!.. how weird!!

WS is a fairly good rose but the colors do fade quick when the weather gets hot. A majority of Buck Roses that I have had over the years always look excellent in cool weather. First flush is always great.

Another Buck rose that produces a ton of apricot colored seedlins is Folksinger. I get a lot of ‘fleshy’ colored seedlings from it. Problems is that a majority of my seedlings from Foldsinger have problems with PM. Folksinger fares poorly with respect to PM as well.