A little advice for a newcommer

Hi everybody, thanx for this great forum - I’m really learning a lot.

The last couple of years I’ve been hit hard with an almost obsessive interest in roses (I’m sure some of you understand) and I’ve decided to get started with hybridization.

First order of business (I think)is to buy / collect a number of species or near species roses, as I would like to cross these with modern roses. I have plenty of land - but there stil a lot to choose from - this leads me to my first question:

1. Which species / near species should I get? I have plenty of land so I was thinking a collection of about 50?

My dream rose(s) is a series of disease free cupped roses like Raubritter, remontant, yellows and orange, climbing or large shrubs, with strong fragrance and long lasting flowers. That should be enough to last me a lifetime (I’m 39 years). With this in mind question number 2:

1. Where would you guys start and specifically what modern roses should I get for my breeding collection?

Last question - anybody here in this forum from Denmark?

thanx a lot in advance

S

Welcome Soren, you are a great age to start hybridizing and many roses like the ones you’d like to breed are needed in the North. You are fortunate that much work has already been done toward accomplishing your goals.

In my mind there is nothing more important than finding competent seed parents that are easy to work with and provide a source of the genes to produce what you are looking for. Start with oranges and yellows. Westerland came to mind but it might not be hardy enough for you there. You will get some excellent advice from those in colder areas of the U.S. and Canada. I’ve had very good success with the Buck roses. Welcome!

Hello Soren - Yes when the rose obsession hits nothing else matters. I still can’t believe I turned my beloved vegetable garden into a rose trial garden for my hybrid seedlings.

Your goals sound the same as what I’m working for - hardy climbers or large shrubs, fragrant, long lasting and large blooms and disease resistance. Raubritter is my favorite rose, I just love those ball-shaped flowers. I have not had any luck with using it as a parent plant. It does not form many hips and the pollen can be tricky to collect because of the ball shape.

I am not familiar with the roses of Denmark or what roses are readily available to you. For the goals stated I am using the roses of the Canadian Explorer series and rosa rugosas. The temeratures here in Maine can get to 35 below zero and these roses survive. One ball-shaped red climber has been produced so far with and open-pollinated Henry Kelsey hip.

Rosa Spinosissima Altaica is a hardy yellow ancient rose that I have in my garden but have not had a chance to use for hybridization yet because it’s the first and only to bloom so early in this climate. I need to collect pollen and save it for when the others bloom. According to Botanica’s Rose Encyclopedia it has been a prolific parent plant. It does spread by suckering so give it plenty of room or a container. Rosa Zanthina Spontanea, Rosa Hemisphaerica (Father Hugo’s Rose, Golden Rose of China), and Rosa Hugonis (Sulphur Rose)are all yellows that are cold hardy. I have no experience with them but they look promising.

We are selling our house and I must leave many of my roses behind. So I will soon be restocking a new landscape and your decisions will be of interest.

Lori

Welcome :slight_smile:

The best piece of advice I could give you is to join your local rose society. The members will be very helpful in sharing info on all aspects of rose culture and recommending the best and most reliable retailers.

If I had to recommend one stud rose it would be Rosa kordesii. It contributes floriferousness and disease resistance. It is tetraploid and will cross with most garden roses.

Hi S