A few pics of the season's progress thus far.

…Feel free to add your own.

I recently sprayed for spider mites which has burnt the new foliage of my seedlings just slightly…

First bloom of '11 (had a couple of others in Dec. though). This is the typical stage of 98% of my seedlings right now.

Seedlings of Flirtatious. Notice the small one on the left? Flirtatious throws a small percentage of those even two, three generations down the line. I think it has to be from the miniature blood in Flirtatious (I find it curious that it can show up generations later).

Perhaps nothing special in the color department but it is very strongly fragrant (which is one of my long term goals).

This is by far the most vigorous seedling I have this year. It blows all the others out of the water (probably a decent sign of hybrid vigor???). In comparison to all the other seedlings, it puts them to shame in the vigor department. I’m also afraid it’s going to outgrow it’s allotted space before I can set it out this spring (which it’s already beginning to do- I know it already needs another pot upgrade). I’m quite pleasantly surprised on how stiff and woody/bouncy the stems are to the touch- it wouldn’t be an easy one to train. I have yet to see a bloom on it- and it’s of unknown parentage, but I know for a fact that I plan on utilizing the architecture of it in future breeding. My first plans with it are to get some strongly fragrant seedlings from it- with that type of architecture.

It looks as though it is going to be an interesting plant, Jon. Upon studying the photos, my first thought was how much it resembles Honey Bouquet here in prickles and foliage. I don’t know what’s behind HB, but it’s a very nice landscaping plant here. Good luck with your goals! I LOVE ‘stinky’ roses! Kim

Thanks Kim. I’m glad to have time to sit and relax a bit! I’ve been out out cutting and busting wood all day. Going to have a snowstorm tonight. Looks like it’s going to be a good one. I’m ready for it though.

I haven’t quite figured out where it came from yet. I don’t recognize it as a standard seedling from what I have… Thankfully, I’m not really doubting/questioning the identity of any other seedlings that I have this year either. It’s a mystery, so I will OCD over it.

I’ve essentially been working with moderns and mixing them with either Carefree Beauty or Knockout (or seedlings thereof). It does have a different character from what I’m used to- it’s not multiflora based either, the stems are too solid/woody. Plus multiflora would branch essentially from the same union/spot.

My rose list this year consist basically of the stinkiest classics (that I have always heard of, but have never tried) - with perhaps a wild card or two thrown in. I have a fairly decent base of disease resistant stock that I would like to start working over with fragrance. I have heard though that disease resistance and fragrance don’t mix…

PLEASE tell me Paul Neyron is NOT on that list! There were 22 of us attending a Friends of Sequoia Nursery gathering yesterday. Someone mentioned that Paul Neyron was a rose connected with Ralph and getting them into roses and it was pretty unanimous that it rusts EVERYWHERE. Definitely a rose you give to someone you don’t like! Kim

No, I do sort of want to try it though :slight_smile:

Mme Isaac Pereire

Armada

Alec’s Red

Francis Dubreuil

Nastarana

Madame Alfred Carrier

Felecite Parmentier (toss up between this one & Mme. Legras de St. Germain…)

Topaz Jewel

Jeri Jennings

Jadis

Papa Meilland

Proud Land

You know it’s odd that I never see rust on my roses. My deciduous azaleas and apple tree are quite susceptible to it… and the roses are smack dab in the middle of it all. I think perhaps they don’t have a chance because most moderns are defoliated from blackspot by mid summer.

Proud Land is my <3 of all the older HT’s. I love, love, love that rose.

Jon,

Like blackspot, there are many strains of rusts, usually specific to a specific type of plant. Haven’t seen any rust on my roses in VA, and that includes Paul Neyron, LOL.

My Proud Land unfortunately has RMV and grows in dense shade but cranks out a huge bloom or two. Jadis is one I had but I think the understock took over. Loved it and it is VERY FRAGRANT with that lovely old rose scent. Loved the bloom too. It is a pink that sometimes has a mauve cast to it depending on the weather I guess. Looks lovely with silverware!

Jim

Jadae, what are the other two?

Jim

Paul Neyron is one of the few roses I have grown which I hope never to have in my collection again. What a mess that thing was.

I believe the secret to Ralph’s success with that dawg was how it out grew the five gallon can and stood on a foot of roots on top of the soil. For years, it didn’t rust there, but it certainly did everywhere else, even in my mid desert garden. I had a piece of his so I know it wasn’t the clone or anything. It and Prospero taught me what rust was.

Hi Jim,

<3 is leet speak for a heart, not +/- 3 :smiley:

But if I had to choose two other pre-80s HTs, I’d choose Fragrant Cloud and Personality. Well, I think its Personality. It is growing abandoned on the corner of Vernonia Rd. and HWY 30 in ST. Helens, OR. Its exactly half way between Peace and Sutter’s Gold but without the height of either. The patent description describes it well.

What I like about these 3 oldies is that theyre very sensate despite being sticks. Proud Land has massively huge blooms that small good and you can run your hands through the entire bloom. Theyre HUGE. The plant was bomb proof for me. Fragrant Cloud doesnt need an introduction. Personality is wispy, also bomb proof and everblooming. It smells super sweet like Sutter’s Gold with huge blooms that nod waist high. The latter of the three roses would be placed where a Camelia would be landscaped because the growth is not stiff; it goes up and then the blooms arc into a drop. This pattern repeats up to 4.5 to 5’ tall.

Hybrid Perpetuals, on the other hand, will be “mulched” on site/sight :stuck_out_tongue:

I still grow Ralph Moore’s cross of Sheri Anne x Paul Neyron.

He handed it to me one day which of course meant I was supposed to keep it and I have.

It’s a mostly smooth large flowered climber. I don’t see it at HMF.

Paul, Kim, do we know Ralph’s code name for that one? I remember the specimen at Sequoia was huge. I think he told me he kept it as a possible root stock candidate.

It would be nice to get it listed at HMF unless I’ve missed it somehow.

These are the two plants from the data base from that cross.

Sequoia Jewel MORsewel Min MR 1989 178-85-10 Sheri Anne Paul Neyron

0-89-07 Sheri Anne Paul Neyron

Ralph thought that due to its vigor and lack of prickles it should have made a decent root stock. It got BIG, though it didn’t repeat reliably and it sunburned like all hades in Newhall. Kim

Thanks Kim. Hopefully we can get updates at HMF.

I must have 0-89-07. I haven’t noted sunburn here, likely due to where it’s sited but I believe you.

I can supply pics. The blossoms are quite attractive.

If you would, please, go ahead and add it. You know the codes and can enter the information. Photos would be lovely, thanks! I’m sure Paul also still has it and can supplement them. Kim

Ok, here we go.

I can’t find a photo for now. Perhaps Paul can help.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.64336&tab=1

Thanks Robert, but it wasn’t a sister seedling to the other. The same cross but made four years apart. I removed the sister seedling reference. Kim

I don’t have 0-89-07, but I do have ‘Sequoia Jewel’, which is a lot like ‘Sequoia Ruby’ but a duller color and a total lack of vigor. I struggle to keep it alive. I wonder sometimes if I might be holding the Unicorn’s Horn here…

Will search for a photo of ‘Sequoia Jewel’, but I doubt I have one. I’m waiting for it to present a photo-worthy flower :frowning:

I was wrong, I did find one photo for ‘Sequoia Jewel’ from 2003. See link to HMF:

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.166153

I guess that means I have the only 0-89-07. Mine is in no great shape. I pretty much ignore it though I did use it for pollen a few times last season. The few times I tried it in the past seedlings tended to be mildew prone.

Amazing to think how quickly things can disappear.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still struggling to survive back at the old Sequoia.