2010 Seedling Database

Germinations are starting to slow, however, the first new seedling flower buds were visible today.

The attached link shows the Excel 2010 Database that I am working on. Set up properly, you can select a particular parent to see germination rate, average seedlings/hip and so on. I have identified a few new potential seed parents based on their germination rates.

Jim Sproul

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqg_dX0ynRZWdFluZ1VobVBCY0VDcFNDN19BbVNmcUE&hl=en

Thanks for sharing Jim. Up to this point I have been keeping germination rates in my head and on paper, but I have reached a point where I need something more organized. This looks great.

Hi Shane,

It’s easy to get general impressions, but the statistics that you can derive from detailed documentation can help direct your future efforts. Early on I used to take more notes than what I have for the last few years, but after a time, I often find that I have forgotten important information and wish that I had been more detailed in documenting my observations. I am going back now and giving better descriptions to seedlings parents that I have used along the way - otherwise, they are just letters and numbers!

Jim Sproul

Jim:

On your spreadsheet you have a heading of “actual inches.” Can you explain what that is?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I plan my planting of the greenhouse seedling beds based on how many seeds that I have in a given year. Each year produces a different amount of seeds. In the last 5 years, the range has been from 21,000 to 61,000 seeds to plant in a given year.

Based on a seed parent’s characteristic germination rate, I estimate the amount of space needed to plant each particular lot of seeds. Better germinators get more relative room per seed planted. Doing this calculation helps me to use all of the available planting space optimally.

There are some other “hidden” columns in the database that calculate the space based on the number of seeds and a factor based on historic germination rates. That calculated space is then “tweaked” to fit all of the seeds into the available space.

Does that make sense?

Jim Sproul