14 days of germination

I have a lot fewer seeds from my crosses this year than last year; 1225 this year vs. 3883 last year. I also had about 300 OP seeds last year. I haven’t counted OP seeds yet this year.

I took the 1225 seeds out of the fridge two weeks ago. There were 361 germinations in 14 days. That works out to 29.5% germination. I’ve posted a spreadsheet showing preliminary germination statistics for 15 of my crosses at the link below. These 15 crosses produced 312 of the 361 germinations, and have had 47.5% germination so far. Other crosses have just started to germinate in the past couple of days.

The posted spreadsheet is a subset of my complete spreadsheet. The complete spreadsheet includes all my crosses, plus additional statistics, like pollination attempts, seedlings per pollination attempt, and kept seedlings per pollination attempt. Here are a couple of highlights from the spreadsheet.

Two crosses had over 70% germination in 14 days:

Ebb Tide X Purple Heart (74.0% germination)

Ebb Tide X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn) (73.2%)

Two crosses produced over 20 seedlings per hip in 14 days:

Gemini X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn) (27 seedlings/hip)

Gemini X Sunset Celebration (21 seedlings/hip)

These stats don’t tell the whole story, of course. For example, the cross Magenta X Basye’s 86-3 looks pretty good in this spreadsheet, with 63.6% germination and 7 seedlings per hip. However, most of the hips from that cross aborted, and the hip that survived had a lot fewer seeds than Magenta usually produces. The good news is that if you can get seeds from 86-3 pollen, germination is good.

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pKI1wR8cKyUKIj5c9j1juUg

Wow, that’s great news regarding 86-3 Jim. I can’t wait to get some blossoms to try here. The plant you sent is coming along nicely.

I hope the Bankside cuttings are progressing well. The ones I stuck here same day seem to be doing well, starting to push new growth.

It also looks like I will have four more laevigata hybrid seedlings from last seasons attempts.

We’ll crack this nut yet.

Two people with laevigata hybrids - hurray!!! :0)

I look forward to hearing more about these as they grow. I’ve been trying this species for a number of years and so far only have one runty seedling to show for my efforts.

Am I remembering correctly - 86-3 is Basye’s amphidiploid of laevigata and banksia???

Here you go Tom.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=75535

Those are great numbers Jim. It’s not just Ebb Tide and Gemini that have great numbers, they all do. You have almost a 50% germination over all, that’s fantastic.

There are some very interesting crosses, it’ll be fun to hear how they turn out.

Thanks Robert. I thought it sounded familiar.